Cutting trim for large bathroom mirror ... Need advice

I have recently painted my bathroom and wood like to put a trim on the large bathroom mirror (36" x 30") that is on the wall. I would like to put a trim around the mirror to make it look more finished. I picked up moulding like material at Home Depot today. Here is the problem.. I know that the corners need to meet at a 45degree angle so that it squares off when finished. Is there an easy way of doing this? I want to make sure I know what I am doing before I start cutting. As they say "measure twice, cut once". I would like to extend that motto to "know what you're doing first". I need help.

Thanks, Al Kondo

Reply to
Al Kondo

measure twice, and use a miter box. without a more expensive miter trimmer and a tablesaw, it's about the best you can do. you're basically making a picture frame. actually, if you can find one of the correct size, it'd be easier to use that.

Reply to
Charlie Spitzer

Take the molding and the *accurate* dimensions of your mirror to a local picture framing shop and talk nice to the folks there. They've got guillotine shearing machines which make fast work of making very smooth 45 degree cuts. They can probably give you some assistance with nailing/gluing the corner joints too.

Good luck,

Jeff

-- Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Jeff Wisnia