Cutting the cord

Page 3 of 4
On Sat, 19 Apr 2014 14:15:53 -0700 (PDT), Bob_Villa

People who own one or more already and don't have as much money as you do.
And people who have as much money but have large uninsured medical expenses for someone they love or are responsible for.
On Saturday, April 19, 2014 6:02:22 PM UTC-5, micky wrote:

To quote Jesus, "We will always have the poor..." Sometimes you have to blow it! I paid $170 for a new 32" and $20 for a used at Goodwill!

sheild, which you cannot crimp a standard "F" connector to. You need the Radial Quad Sheild Co-Ax connectors, which isntall with a compression tool (Look up Zenith ZDS5061 for the tool) Also known as "waterproof connectors"
On 04/19/2014 06:16 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:
[snip]

Quad Shield cable does need different connectors. There should be no need to use QS except for very long runs or in unusually noisy environments.
On Sat, 19 Apr 2014 14:12:42 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson

internet, and adding an antenna to the mix for OTA TV.
On Sat, 19 Apr 2014 21:52:43 +0000 (UTC), HerHusband

not have "unlimitted internet" you may very well excede your internet bandwidth limit and get hit with significant overage fees......
On Sat, 19 Apr 2014 18:01:00 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Just a little wire

Cheaper, quicker, easier, safer, less maintenance, do-able in a rental house, and in many, most, or maybe almost all cases fully sufficient to get all the stations one wants.
Far quicker, easier, and cheaper.
If it is insufficient, nothing stops one from installing a mast or tower later. But one has to ask himself if that added 30% will bring in more stations or will it just reach a doughnut shaped area of farmland beyond the city whose stations you get with the attic antenna and 20 miles short of the next city.
On Sat, 19 Apr 2014 16:33:03 -0700 (PDT), Bob_Villa

First, I answered your question.

To drag Jesus into this in the way you did, I think means you've reached the second level of snottiness.

That's for you to say about yourself. It's not for you to be dismissive of people who don't have the money you do.

A used HD TV for 20 dollars at Goodwill???? If so, you were lucky. Most people don't have time to go to Goodwill over and over until they find a good deal like this. Some have 2 jobs. If not, it's a pointless remark.
micky wrote:

this year are out of pocket drug charges is around $900.00 per month. She was diagnosed with Parkinson and the med is $478.00 per month and her diabetics med is $345.00 and then mine. Our Part D pays nothing for her meds and no aid as long as you have Medicare. If you were like some that did not try to pay there own way of course there is help. We have had to cut way back and drop anything that is not necessary. I am still working when I can but not on any company insurance since I am part time.
On 04/19/2014 10:02 PM, JAS wrote:

Would you like to cure that diabetes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeyKvCkxp2o

On Sat, 19 Apr 2014 19:16:19 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

$35 on Amazon. But I'm glad you warned me, and the other guy, in advance.****

But you have to use them even where it's dry? I gather the answer is yes.
And do these also require the compression tool?*** (Amazon.com product link shortened)
***The text doesnt' say... Well it doesn't say on the ad page, but in the questions it pretty much says yes.
I ask because they are called "Snap and Seal" which makes them sound like they go on easily, like Tupperware lids. Of coure the next two words in their name is "Compression Connector" but, always hopeful, I'm thinking maybe that means "serving in the role of a compresson connector".
****"Wait a second, Alice" as Ralph Kramden might say. I was using examples from when I got cable, but I was only giving advice on running his antenna cable into the house. Standards for that haven't changed.
But I'm glad you warned us because I might get cable again someday.

The question is a bit ambiguous. He CAN use the existing cable in the house for his antenna, but it MUST be disconnected from the cable TV/internet connection. If he disconnects the cable at the first splitter, connecting only the internet to the incoming cable, he CAN connect the antennae to the remaining installed cable. Just needs the proper balun to adapt the antenna to the cable if the antenna is the common 300 ohm twinlead instead of the 50/75 ohm co-ax

Those are the connectors - and yes, they need the "compression tool"

If you haven't all ready done so, you might want to investigate the Medicare Advantage plans available in your area, especially their drug formulary and charges for same. IME, they are often far cheaper than with straight Medicare and no supplemental insurance needed.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

QS. Up here the cable company rips out anything else and replaces it with QS cable.
On 04/20/2014 08:48 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:
[snip]

I have digital TV and cable internet (15Mbps). The outdoor cable the company installed in about 2001 may be QS (although I think it is not). I installed all the indoor cable, NONE of which is QS. There's even a little RG59 (very short runs). It all works fine.
Your cable company may use QS because it's what they have (they're using it for outdoor runs too). That doesn't make it any better.
BTW, HD isn't noticably better on a small screen.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

Come to think of it, that's the advantage of digital, if the signal is strong enough. Since the value can only be 0 or 1, whichever it's closer to (or whatever other standard is used) it will be interpreted as a 0 or 1. I'm sure it's smart enough that, if the signal is at 70%, it doesn't just call everything below 50% zero and everything between 50 and 70 one. Instead it would note the maximum signal strength of 70, and call everything 35 or above 1, and everything below 35 zero. (or use a method parallel to whatever method or standard is used with stronger signals. )
On Monday, April 21, 2014 2:22:40 AM UTC-5, micky wrote:

Hey, don't strain yourself! The digital information is delivered by a carrier frequency...if that carrier is within limits all the digital information will be intact.