Cutting the cord

Page 1 of 4
I am seriously thinking of getting rid of my cable TV and using an outside antenna and the cable Internet for television. The question I have is when I put up an antenna can i just plug it into the coax cable coming into the house? I have my cable internet coming in on the same cable. Is this an issue or will it work.
On 04/19/2014 08:46 AM, JimmyDahGeek@DON'T_SPAM_ME_gmail.com wrote:

no
you cannot splice your antenna into your coax for your internet
If you have cable internet (say, Charter) you should be able to split the cable and get basic channels tuned through your HD TV.
On Saturday, April 19, 2014 10:54:06 AM UTC-4, philo  wrote:

when I put up an antenna can i just plug it into the coax cable coming into the house? I have my cable internet coming in on the same cable. Is this an issue or will it work.

. You can disconnect it a convenient outside point and then run a new wire from the cable company's wire directly to your cable modem. Then you can use your existing in-house wiring to run over the air tv by connecting your outside antenna to the now free entry point. Make sure all your tv's have the newer digital tuners in them as analog tv over the air is gone. Over the air is now all digital. Some cable providers were/are still delivering analog tv which worked with older tv's.
On 04/19/2014 06:46 AM, JimmyDahGeek@DON'T_SPAM_ME_gmail.com wrote:

First of all, you need to make sure you have an outside grounding block right before the cable from the antenna enters the house. Secondly, no, you can't use a splitter to connect the cable from your antenna to the cable with your internet.
The cable from the antenna goes to the television (or whatever you are using for a tuner), and the cable with the internet goes to your computer.
Jon
On 04/19/2014 09:46 AM, JimmyDahGeek@DON'T_SPAM_ME_gmail.com wrote:

Maybe...for about a week...until your cable company disconnects you for cable ingress/egress issues.
On Saturday, April 19, 2014 8:12:57 AM UTC-7, Stanley wrote:

when I put up an antenna can i just plug it into the coax cable coming into the house? I have my cable internet coming in on the same cable. Is this an issue or will it work.

Yeah, that's what we wee told. These bastards don't give anything away!!!!
We stopped the cable few months ago because realized we had been paying mor e each year for 500+ channels --of which we watched maybe 9-10!
We bought an indoor antenna, hung it up high, brought in all the OTA channe ls it would get, but they were AWFUL. Could not get the one single PBS chan nel we did want. Returned antenna,
Now getting TV on computer screen, several days late, but at least we get i t. Looking into connecting computer to TV to view larger picture; some difficu lty because in different rooms, but will solve it eventually.
HB
cable happens to use the same frequencies as commercial airliners do, which is why cable operators sometimes replace entire neighborhoods of main cable lines.
they survey areas looking for stray signals.....
dont mix cable and tv antennas, run a seperate cable!
message I am seriously thinking of getting rid of my cable TV and using an outside antenna and the cable Internet for television. The question I have is when I put up an antenna can i just plug it into the coax cable coming into the house? I have my cable internet coming in on the same cable. Is this an issue or will it work.

As people have said, you can't use the same cable, but it's easy enough to just buy a length of coax or antenna cable to run up to your roof. I used to do that. These days I live in a place where I get 20-odd stations with just a UHF antenna sitting beside the TV. I haven't had cable TV since the early 90s.
The big question is reception: If you're in a city trapped between high buildings, or out in a remote rural area, what you spend on an antenna and cable could be wasted.
On 4/19/2014 8:46 AM, JimmyDahGeek@DON'T_SPAM_ME_gmail.com wrote:

The question I have is when I put up an antenna can i just plug it into the coax cable coming into the house? I have my cable internet coming in on the same cable. Is this an issue or will it work.

You can not connect your cable to an antenna unless you block the signal to the antenna. How I do it, (or did it) I run only one cable to the cable modem and then another cable off the antenna to the TVs. I have a signal booster near an outdoor directional antenna since it's a long run, but a couple of years ago some cable guy showed up and said they'd lower the internet bill and give me free basic TV so I told them to climb the pole and get'er done. The bill has creeped up since then eventually at some point I'll be back to plan A and cut the cord again. When I'm not watching broadcast TV I use a computer with wireless keyboard/mouse to stream to the big screen TV and tend to watch something streaming from the internet most of the time with that. If your internet is capped you'll have to watch your bandwidth usage. don't let the URL fool you, it's a valid useful site. https://tvfool.com/ and google "cutting the cord" For what it's worth the over the air broadcasts are better quality than cable or satellite because of less compression.

As others have said, you will need two separate cables. In fact, I dropped everything but internet from my cable connection and use an antenna for my TV reception (in addition to stuff I get online through Netflix and Youtube).
I disconnected the cable line from my splitter and connected it directly to my cable modem.
Then I ran a new line from the antenna, and connected it to the splitter where the cable used to connect. This way I still get a TV signal in every room of the house as before.
Once everything is connected, you will need to rescan your TV for the antenna frequencies (they're different than cable TV).
Unfortunately, my cable internet makes up the majority of my cable cost (I was only subscribed to limited basic service). Comcast also charges a fee if you do not use Cable TV (nearly the same cost as limited basic). My bill only went down $5 a month, but that's still $60 a year I can spend on something else.
Good luck,
On 4/19/2014 12:45 PM, HerHusband wrote:

Problem I have, most of what we watch aside from the 6 o'clock news are cable channels. History, Travel, Science, Discovery, Nat Geo. Not in a good spot for OTA anyway, so I pay ridiculous amount for DirecTv.
On Saturday, April 19, 2014 12:00:07 PM UTC-7, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

EXACTLY our problem! Most of the identical channels!!!! Can catch up on some later on computer, but not the same as big TV!
Damn, damn, damn - when is "God" going to do something about these cable co's!
The OTA channels we d/l with the indoor antenna were (...censored...)!!!
HB
On 04/19/14 03:00 pm, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

*Some* of those are available online with something like a ChromeCast dongle or a Roku box to feed them to the TV (both are HDMI only).
We may give DirecTV another month while we make sure the Roku 3 lives up to expectations*, but after that, I hope it will be: "We've just figured out how much we've paid you in the last ten years, and it's going to stop."
For the amount we'll save, SWMBO is even willing to give up her cooking and home-improvement shows.
*So far we haven't been able to get the MHz Networks "channel" working properly, but it seems that MHz is in the process of making some changes, which we hope will solve the problem.
Perce
Thanks everyone. I think I will run a cable just to my internet modem. Th en hook up my outside antenna to the cable that feeds the rest of the house . That way we can get OTA TV in every room. With a 20' pole and antenna ( Grounded) I will be able to get about 20 channels OTA where I am located. I will then use my Chromecast to stream video to my television. The Chromec ast works great and I can't see paying xtra for a bunch of cable channels t hat I only watch a few of.
THANKS, Jim

Consider an outdoor antenna (if you can.) Before doing so, on line antenna vendors usually offer maps showing which transmitters ought to give a good signal at your address. Your main choice for outdoor antennas is between (1) Small (folded) antenna, less than 1 ft. square. (2) Traditional UHF antenna, 3 ft to 6 ft. with multiple reflectors. (3) "Mattress" antenna with multiple reflectors (for which several Youtube videos offer to show us how to build our own.)
All these connect via coax directly to your TV receiver (not to your PC.)
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

And what about a non-HD TV? Do you still need the antenna for one of them?
On Saturday, April 19, 2014 2:48:58 PM UTC-5, micky wrote:

Who on God's Green Earth would want anything that didn't have an HD tuner in it?

All but the biggest of these will fit in an attic, if you have an attic (Well, they will fit even if you don't, but it will be someone else's attic.) It won't be quite as high and won't have quite the range, and might not get as many channels, but no climbing tall ladders or being out in the weather.
On 2014-04-19 3:54 PM, micky wrote:

tower unless you live in a city.