Cutting Sidewalk Expansion Joints

So I tried to single-handedly replace a slab of sidewalk last week. Near killed my po' self, mixing and pouring, etc. Was so worried about thunderstorms etc, I forgot to cut/set the expansion joints. Forced 'em in as the 'crete was being finished. They stick up as much as an inch above slab-level.

How do you cut this stuff? It is Quikrete 1/2 In. x 4 In. x 5 Ft. Expansion Joint per Homey-Flogging-Depot:

Sez it is made from resilient cane fiber. Looks like cardboard soaked in asphalt gunk. Tried cutting with utility knife, it sorta shreds.

Best case would be if I could pull 'em out without making a hideous mess. Then I could cut some wood joints to replace 'em. But they don't seem to wanna come out.

Mea Culpa: I blew this part of the job. Any help much appreciated.

Will

Reply to
Wilfred Xavier Pickles

I would think a handsaw made to cut wood should work, no? You can use the tip end of it, so that it is just about flat against the concrete. Or maybe use a drywall saw in similar fashion. If you need a finer blade, they have saws that are essentially a handle that you stick a hack saw blade into and they grip onto it. Leave a lot of blade out and you can lay it flat. Or one of those fancy new muti- function saws.

Reply to
trader4

"Wilfred Xavier Pickles" wrote

There is a dovetail saw with an offset handle used for cutting door trim when laying laminate flooring. It would be perfect for that job. About $12 at Home Dept.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

An undercut saw (or something rigged to function like one) would probably work. Do a Google search for "undercut saw".

Jay-T

: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Figure you're probably going to ruin the blade of what ever you use.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

A sharp thin bladed knife or even a handheld hacksaw blade should do it. If using the knife, you could just slice into both sides, then bend it back and forth to break it off. Then clean up the edge with a sharp 1/2" wood chisel.

Reply to
Bob F

That's what I woulda figgered, but I got some alum. flashing ... I'll try to cut a 1/2 " slot in it, put it down to protect the blade ... Who knows? Might work.

Will

Reply to
Wilfred Xavier Pickles

Sounds like a pita to me. I'd try an 18 tooth hacksaw blade. Wrap one end with a rag and wear a work glove to protect your knuckles. Saw patiently.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

Will it burn out?

Reply to
dadiOH

Will it burn out?

Reply to
dadiOH

Will it burn out?

Reply to
dadiOH

Will it burn out?

The part sticking out I mean. I'm thinking the concrete would act like a heat sink and let just the part sticking up burn.

Reply to
dadiOH

The Harbor Freight multifunction tool. Users say it will do ANYTHING!

Red

Reply to
Red

I'd buy a package of cheap sawzall blades at HF, and use those. If you don't have a sawzall, the same blades fit most manual drywall saws. (Did a real Huh? when I realized that one....)

Reply to
aemeijers

That probably would do this one.

Reply to
Bob F

Get real long blades so they can flex to lie flat. Use the plastic from a cut up clorox bottle to protect the concrete under the end of the blade.

Reply to
Bob F

-snip-

Apparently those folks who have started using theirs [I *do* have one- just haven't started using it] are too busy doing stuff with the multifunction tool to waste time on Usenet these days.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Tried several saw blades. The stuff shreds, jams the teeth, saw slows way down 'till ya clean out the teeth, takes too long.

I finally got it done by repeatedly wd-40-ing a utility knife blade, scoring repeatedly both sides, then using a serrated steak knife for the final slice. This, out in the hot, hot sun, with the damned red ants crawling all over the place. Super-PITA!!

Thx, Will

Reply to
Wilfred Xavier Pickles

Too bad we don't have a FAQ for this group- you coulda documented it all, and ensured your place in history.

(Hey, we all do dumb things sometimes- I'd say the DIY gods have punished you enough for your memory lapse on this one.)

Bet you won't forget to place the black strips first next time you pour concrete. :^)

Reply to
aemeijers

I'd have 'em flawlessly layed out, cut, and placed before the first bag of premix was opened.

But I over-spec'd my capacity for the work. Will never, ever attempt such (alone) again. Pure foolishness on my part. Too damned old ...

Will

Reply to
Wilfred Xavier Pickles