Cutting rubber floor mats

I have several 24" square black rubber floor mats with raised bumps on the surface.
I need to cut some of them to size as accurately and cleanly as possible.
I was advised to use a metal straight edge and a utility knife. The utility knife does not seem to cut sharply and deeply enough to make a clean accurate cut.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Bob

How thick is the rubber?
Got a carpet knife, those blades are much sharper?
I don't have one, but I will get one.
Thank you!

Did you try a brand-new utility knife blade?
Brand new blade is good. They go dull rapidly.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Bob wrote:

How thick are they? How many do you have to do?
Best would be a bandsaw with a knife edge blade, but you need the saw and have to buy a blade. I'd consider scoring (on the smooth back) with the utility knife and following up with an electric kitchen knife.

I've seen jig saw blades with a knife edge. Even the right saw blade is worth a shot.

I'll second that, I used one to cut up old tires, tried everything else, and the blades with teeth just got hot. I made nice tree rings out of sidewalls.
The best way to cut thick rubber is to double it. When you cut, the kerf opens up instead of closing in on the blade. Mark the rubber with a good visible line on both sides. Use a utility knife with a straight edge clamped in place. Cut half way thru, reverse and then cut from the other side.

Lubricate the blade with soapy water-
I'm with Ed on the bandsaw- if you've got one it would be worth buying the blade. You'll find other uses for it once you have it--- tires make great sandals.<g>
Jim

Reciprocating saw with general purpose blade. Cuts thru 4'x6'x 3/4" stall mats like butter, so you shouldn't have any trouble cutting through your material. Just make sure you have a good line to follow and a good steady hand.
hth... Linda H.,

them when they're cold.