Cutting / Routing a Groove in Conccrete ?

Our storage room, tornado shelter built by the previous owner has sprung a leak during the last big rains. There is seepage along the floor/wall edge that is farthest away from the sump hole. Unfortunately, the floor does not lean towards the sump hole.

At present, digging a trench along the outside wall to install drain pipes is not in the budget

Therefore a way is needed to have the seepage drain into the sump hole.

So either the whole floor has to be sanded to slope it towards the sump hole. Or channels need to be cut in the floor to drain the water into the sump hole.

Note that the channels must have a downslope in them towards the sumphole to help drainage

What is the best method that can easily cut such channels ?

Would there be a V-shaped bit that could be installed in a router to cut such a groove ?

Reply to
<ThrowAwayAddress

A circular saw with a concrete blade, but it will be Dusty.

Reply to
m Ransley

If the drain is lower and you just need a channel through a hump in the floor, rent a bushing head for a demolition hammer.

See here:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Keep the whole world singing . . . . DanG (remove the sevens) snipped-for-privacy@7cox.net

Reply to
DanG

Wet saw, using water for cooling, will keep the dust down, but create mud instead.

Reply to
John Hines

Mud is better than dust. It will be easier to clean up.

There are three questions I' m looking to resolve.

1) What is the shape of the groove to be ? Wouldn't a V-groove be better than a straght channel ? Since a V-shaped channel would allow easier flow than a rectangular channel ? How would a saw as opposed to a router V bit allow me to do this ? 2) How deep is the groove to be below the floor surface ? For depth, I estimate that at the it will go from 0.1" to 0.5" at the sump hole. Or is this is too much ? 3) How wide is the groove to be at the floor surface ? My understanding is that the width needs to be about 1/8" to 1/4" to allow for easy water flow. And the issue of shape will affect the width of the groove...
Reply to
<ThrowAwayAddress

Set the saw at 45 degrees and cut a pair of grooves that intersect, to make your groove.

Worry more about the pitch of the groove, so that the water flows in it.

Good question. Check on what saws you can rent, and what the width of the blade is. I don't know what is available in large masonry blades.

Is there a dado set for concrete?

Reply to
John Hines