Cutting Pyrex

My wife just bought some new pyrex baking pans , and the one we want to use is just a hair too long to close the oven door on - this is a small oven in a camper . My question is can I cut the little bit off so we can use it , or will it shatter like tempered glass ? I have both a wet saw for tile and wet/dry diamond and masonry cutting discs for my angle grinder . I think the best choice will be the tile saw ... but I've been wrong before .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

I bet the wet saw will work fine. I broke the handle off of a pyrex measuring cup and it was a clean break, no shattering like you get from tempered glass

Reply to
gfretwell

As I recall reading a few years ago, today's Pyrex is not your Grandmother's Pyrex. The company changed hands and today's Pyrex is no longer tempered glass.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Drahn

Yes you can cut it the same as regular glass. When glasses are made or heated to the melting point, tempering is just slow cooling to avoid built in stresses from cooling too fast. The surface glass should not be much different than the interior.

Reply to
Frank

Screw around with that annealed edge on that handle may result in the whole shebang shattering when it gets hot. Keep that in mind.

Best to buy a pan that fits the oven IMHO.

Reply to
Roy

On 08/22/2014 12:41 PM, Paul Drahn wrote: ...

It's tempered glass all right, just not _borosilicate_ glass of the original Corning products. The trademark has been licensed to several manufacturers, a few of the smaller of which still do use borosilicate glass but the primary one doesn't. World Kitchen iirc is the spinoff of Corning that uses a clear tempered soda-lime glass instead because it's less expensive. It also isn't as heat-stress resistant and there've been some complaints...

Reply to
dpb

Stop that right now! What? Be sensible and get a dish that fits the oven?

Reply to
trader_4

Sometime around the Ford administration bottle cutters were all the rage They were all over TV and later in drug stores. It was the go to stocking stuffer. The fad quickly died out.

Reply to
gfretwell