Cutting padlocks

That's very funny. And I feel safer now.

Reply to
micky

Yup, the first time you put up trim with a finish nailer you will never use a hammer again. Roofing your garage suddenly becomes a morning job, not all day misery when you buy a roof gun. A framing gun makes all of those tricky toe nailing tricks a piece of cake.

Reply to
gfretwell

so you are saying that oceanologists were unable to ascertain the age of the sucker mark by the state of the wound?

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

I had a Master padlock on my garage that was in the same shape as yours. The key would go in and turn but wouldn't open it. I tried every penetrating oil I could find. I got the hack saw out and it was about as effective as a butter knife. The hammer was next ... no go. I then took my propane torch to it. After heating it up cherry red and letting it cool, the hack saw cut it as easily as if it were aluminum. After reading the description of your lock set-up I can see that high heat is not an option but thought I would mention the torch bit for others in a similar situation. Good luck

Reply to
Forrest

there is always dry ice

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

It don't matter. It will cut just about anything you can get in the jaws. Many times I have to sit one leg of it on the ground and then put my weight on the other, but I haven't come across anything it won't cut. Yet..............

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Just put a ball of axle grease on the whole lock. In 20 years it might take a can of carb cleaner to get enough off to get the key in.

Or use cosmolene.

Reply to
clare

wrote

Nailing cripples in place is my favorite. The ones you can't hit very straight on because of the adjoining stud and never get them straight or flush.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

And a lot less likely to ignite an explosive atmosphere.

Reply to
clare

rebar and hardened steel are two completely different materials

Reply to
clare

The 45 year old CP impact and Snap-on air ratchet both came in handy removing the battery bracket on the PT cruiser to get at the transmission oil leak this morning. There is NOTHING that is easy to reach, much less remove, under the hood of a PT.

Reply to
clare

You need the right cutoff wheel though - or about 2 dozen of the wrong ones. You really need the fiber re-enforced ones.

Reply to
clare

And even new jaws will have one heck of a time getting through a good hardened shank

Reply to
clare

"ChairMan" wrote

I only tried it as a lube one time. I thought that woman would never quit screaming.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Huh? I have a pair of bolt cutters that is about four feet long. I'd like to see something it can't cut, so long as it can get it half way into its jaws. Maybe there is some exotic metal, but it has yet to fail to cut whatever I can get in it.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Which would DEFINITELY shatter the hose.

Reply to
clare

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote

I'll take a pic of mine and post on flickr with a measuring tape next to it.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

"Bill Gill" wrote

I was out quail hunting once, and came upon a custom sewn canvas package that had some unusual items in it. One was a short set of bolt cutters. The other was some form of a T knife the configuration of which I have never seen before. One part of it looked like a game gutting knife with the V and a blade mounted in the V. We never were able to identify the tools except for the bolt cutters, and too much time has lapsed now, and the rest of the stuff has been deleted from my grey matter hard drive. It was obviously high dollar government stuff that had bounced off the back of a truck, and it was in a spot where there was no road, so assume it had been carried in. It was a custom sewn compartmented canvas rollup bag, but no ID marks.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

"Robert Green" wrote

It is your answer, Bobby. Just get a decent one, because there are lots and lots of uses, and you'll be surprised how much you will use it once you have it. You can get a decent one at a pawn shop for what a HF one costs.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Ah, the old hockey puck locks. I cut many of those off storage lockers. Good locks.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B