Cutting padlocks

Page 2 of 4
On Mon, 28 Nov 2011 15:54:13 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

You're right. Them too.

Like I said, it's eaten everything I've fed it. If I ran across a hard case, I would pull out the hand grinder or smoke wrench.
Steve
On Sat, 26 Nov 2011 16:19:06 -0500, "Robert Green"

If the key is corrugated, the lock is cheap!

If it's a hardened shank? Don't think so.

That's the Egyptian theory. Lots of labor and lots of time.
Lots.
And lots.
Steve

Arthritis says "NO" to hacksaw solution. I suspect it's cut-off disk or nothing at this point.
-- Bobby G.

Dremel. That was my /other/ solution. The one that everybody here --bizarrely--totally ignored.
Dremel. That's spelled D-R-E-M-E-L. Cheap, versatile, and cuts through some pretty hard steel. Including padlock hasps.
A quote from my original post: "...or Dremel will do just fine, althought it may take you a few minutes to cut through the hasp. I've cut through a few [hasps] with my Dremel and the heavy-duty (gray cap) wheels."
Dremel.
Forget the hacksaw. Hacksaw was only /one/ of /two/ solutions I posted. The Dremel was the other one. Dremel. Not hacksaw.
Dremel.
Dremel.
Got it? Do I need to say it again? I will anyway: Dremel. Not just hacksaw, but Dremel.
--
Tegger

wrong ones. You really need the fiber re-enforced ones.
<stuff snipped>

And a face shield or at the very least, goggles. I assume the ones that appear to have a window-screen like mesh pattern embedded in them are fiber reinforced.
I've been recording "Storage Wars" on A&E all night, pausing to look at how they cut locks. They even showed how easy it is to open a safe with an angle grinder. Cut the hinges and crowbar the door out. The huge electric jobs they use seem to open most locks within seconds.
-- Bobby G.
Robert Green wrote:

Cutting the hinges off most safes will yield nothing as (most) safes have pins that engage more than one side.
An easier way to open a safe, at least the low-priced fire safes, is to attack the top with a hatchet or angle grinder. The safe is clad in 1/16" steel which can be cut with an angle grinder or roofing hatchet. Below that is a couple of inches of concrete, also easily (relatively) removed. Beyond the concrete is another thing layer of metal. Get through that, and you're in.

When you watch a 14" diamond blade in a cut off saw go through stuff it makes you wonder what would stop it. The guys cutting up the old concrete and steel in a slab I had removed made bite sized chunks of 6" of concrete and #5 rebar in a short time. The steel is tough on the diamond blade but it eats it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EV4r7OKkXmU

How real men cut steel and concrete.
Steve

HF rotates their stock through sale quite fast. Keep an eye on their flyers and it will likely show up within a month or two.

HF cheapo, or a good one, they are a very handy tool.
Steve

Not fair!
I want one, but I don't have a rusted pad lock...
--
Dan Espen

On 11/25/2011 9:58 PM, snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net wrote:

one day and found one just lying there. It must have fallen off of a truck. Now all I need is a rusty pad lock.
Bill

You think the truck might be back?
Yeah, I'm trying to figure if there's any other job this tool might do? My toenails don't get that tough.
--
Dan Espen

<stuff snipped>

That's pretty odd because the rusty bolt cutters I have fell off a truck, too. They've been "in the family" for almost 50 years since I retrieved them from a Brooklyn, NY street after I saw them bounce off the back of a garbage truck. There's even fancy metal scroll work on the handles. They don't cut worth a damn, though. I'd be very surprised if they cut through a hardened steel shackle considering what they've failed to cut in the past.
-- Bobby G.

I was out quail hunting once, and came upon a custom sewn canvas package that had some unusual items in it. One was a short set of bolt cutters. The other was some form of a T knife the configuration of which I have never seen before. One part of it looked like a game gutting knife with the V and a blade mounted in the V. We never were able to identify the tools except for the bolt cutters, and too much time has lapsed now, and the rest of the stuff has been deleted from my grey matter hard drive. It was obviously high dollar government stuff that had bounced off the back of a truck, and it was in a spot where there was no road, so assume it had been carried in. It was a custom sewn compartmented canvas rollup bag, but no ID marks.
Steve
Robert Green wrote:

1. Big Lots has an angle grinder for $15, its pretty good.
2. Use a round 100% stainless for replacement,
http://www.plumbersurplus.com/Prod/Master-Lock-40DPF-2-3-4-Round-Padlock-with-Shielded-Shackle-Stainless-Steel/99097/Cat/1378
or Titanium!
http://www.plumbersurplus.com/Prod/Master-Lock-187XD-Titanium-2-5-16-Inch-Wide-Padlock/99020/Cat/1378
--

"I don't like to discriminate against terrorists based on nationality.
If you declare war on the United States and you want to kill us,