Cutting (or breaking) cast iron pipe

I've got a cast iron soil vent stack exposed that I'd like to replace most of with ABS. Is there a "non-hacksaw" way to cleanly cut or break this pipe without some expensive tool?

thanks,

Reply to
Steve Barker

Rent one of these:

Grandpa

Be aware that water moves in a much louder way down PVC or ABS pipe vs cast iron.

JK

Reply to
Big_Jake

Use a cold chisel.

Excerpt from
Cast iron soil pipe may also be cut with a hammer and cold chisel. This method of cutting is very time consuming and should be used only if snap cutters are not available. Again, protective equipment, such as safety goggles, should be used. The procedure for cutting soil pipe with a hammer and chisel are as follows: (1) Measure the length to be cut and mark the cut line completely around the circumference of the pipe. (2) Place the mark to be cut on a

2 x 4 so the edge of the 2 x 4 is directly under the mark. (3) By striking the chisel with the hammer, cut a groove following your mark all the way around the circumference of the pipe. (4) Continue cutting as outlined above in (3) until the pipe is cut. This procedure may take several revolutions of the pipe before it is cut.
Reply to
Reed

Thanks for the reply. It'll be in a chase with plenty of room for lots of insulation, and it's a rental property.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Looks like the way to go. Thanks!

Reply to
Steve Barker

Thanks for the reply, but I can't get all the way around this pipe where it is installed.

Reply to
Steve Barker

ive used a sawzall with good success .

ds549

Angle grinders with cutting wheels work well and easily.

Reply to
Gerry Atrick