Cutting (or breaking) cast iron pipe

I've got a cast iron soil vent stack exposed that I'd like to replace most of with ABS. Is there a "non-hacksaw" way to cleanly cut or break this pipe without some expensive tool?
thanks,
--
Steve Barker

Steve Barker wrote:

Rent one of these: http://wantasub1.stores.yahoo.net/manpipcut.html
--
Grandpa

Looks like the way to go. Thanks!
--
Steve Barker

"Grandpa" < snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net> wrote in message

Be aware that water moves in a much louder way down PVC or ABS pipe vs cast iron.
JK
Thanks for the reply. It'll be in a chase with plenty of room for lots of insulation, and it's a rental property.
--
Steve Barker

"Big_Jake" < snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com> wrote in message

Angle grinders with cutting wheels work well and easily.
Steve Barker wrote:

Use a cold chisel. http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId 92365
Excerpt from http://www.cispi.org/handbook.htm
Cast iron soil pipe may also be cut with a hammer and cold chisel. This method of cutting is very time consuming and should be used only if snap cutters are not available. Again, protective equipment, such as safety goggles, should be used. The procedure for cutting soil pipe with a hammer and chisel are as follows: (1) Measure the length to be cut and mark the cut line completely around the circumference of the pipe. (2) Place the mark to be cut on a 2 x 4 so the edge of the 2 x 4 is directly under the mark. (3) By striking the chisel with the hammer, cut a groove following your mark all the way around the circumference of the pipe. (4) Continue cutting as outlined above in (3) until the pipe is cut. This procedure may take several revolutions of the pipe before it is cut.
Thanks for the reply, but I can't get all the way around this pipe where it is installed.
--
Steve Barker

"Reed" < snipped-for-privacy@rmi.net> wrote in message
| I've got a cast iron soil vent stack exposed that I'd like to replace most | of with ABS. Is there a "non-hacksaw" way to cleanly cut or break this pipe | without some expensive tool? | | thanks, | | -- | Steve Barker | | | | | sawz-all with an aggressive demo blade works every time.
ive used a sawzall with good success .