Cutting one granite tile

I'm building a small granite tile (~ quarter inch thick) counter top and need to cut just one (18") tile. I'd rather not rent a tile saw for this.
Suggestions? I don't mind this taking some extra effort or burning up some discs. I have the usual assortment of tools.
Jeff
On 3/6/2011 8:32 AM, Jeff Thies wrote:

Don't know about big box but every tile place I know will do it for a nominal charge.

If you bought the tile in a big box store they will usually cut it for free. If you didn't buy it there, the guy might still cut it if you kick him a few bucks gratuity.
On 3/6/2011 9:51 AM, RicodJour wrote:

I'll give it a try. A bought it at a builders surplus store that always has a lot of tile, but no provision for cutting. Gorgeous Golden Tiger Granite that they insisted on selling for $2.99 SF although it was marked $4.50.
Just looking at this:
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200309281_200309281
and this:
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId051&productId0476895&langId=-1&catalogId053&MERCH=REC-_-search-3-_-NA-_-100476895-_-N&locStoreNum9
Jeff

I think you can con someone local into cutting it for you and that is your best option.
I would not attempt is with an angle grinder as the tool is very hard to control. You could buy a dry diamond blade for your circ saw or even use the abrasive disc.
If you must buy a toy, I strongly recommend this one: http://www.harborfreight.com/4-dry-tile-saw-68298.html
This little guy is powerful for its size. I even cut two inch pavers half through at a time using it. Laid up a whole patio that way.
--
Colbyt

Get a diamond or abrasive 7 1/4" blade from Harbor Freight and use it in your sidewinder saw. Lesser tools won't cut in one pass and hence might be more troublesome.
Joe

Last time I did this I marked the tiles and the local tile place cut them for 25 cents each.
That was a while ago but even with inflation that's cheaper than a saw blade.
responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/Cutting-one-granite-tile-624326-.htm tilemaster999 wrote: Jeff Thies wrote:

Well, it is nice and possible. I.ve read about it on http://theholesaw.com /