Cutting Laminate Countertop

What is a good way to cut a laminated countertop? What type of blade should we use? We need to cut the length, a small corner out for pipes, and the sink hole. We presently have a circular saw, a jig saw, and a sawsall for cutting with. Thanks.

Mike D.

Reply to
Mike Dobony

The best way is using a router with a guide and a side cutting bit at high speed to minimize chipping of the laminate.

If you are going to use a jig saw, use a fine tooth blade for the same reason. For the sink cutout, first drill at the corners with a bit that matches the radius of the corner, then cut the straight runs. For the notches, just go slow to get a truly good edge.

Use masking or painters tape (2" min.) on the good side of the cuts to protect the finish and prevent scratches and marring of the laminate.

I wouldn't use a sawsall or circular saw, too much chipping and danger of damage.

Reply to
JGolan

jigsaws normally cut on the upstroke so cutting the counter top from the bottom side is the best way to go. When you are cutting the opening for the sink drill the corners as suggested and make sure you support the piece to be cutout or it can split the laminate. I usually cut two opposite sides then screw a long board across so when I finish the cut the piece won't fall. You should also use masking tape to help protect the laminate from chipping.

Reply to
RayV

Or you can buy jigsaw blades that cut on the downstroke, that are spefically made for laminated benchtops. I was a bit nervous about using these at first, thinking it'd tend to push off and be hard to control. But there were no dramas at all, and I got a nice cut.

Reply to
Jordan

I've never seen a jig saw blade with the teeth that cut on the upstroke.

Reply to
Steve Barker LT

I just used my regular ol' jigsaw blade and put masking tape where ever there was a cut. No muss, no fuss. No chipping.

Reply to
Steve Barker LT

You are correct if you are referring to a manual. For electric, I've never seen one that didn't.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K