cutting in reverse

Fellow I worked with cut off part of his grandson's foot with a mower.

When my son was small I would not let him out in the yard while I was mowing. Maybe I am over protective, but the way children run so fast they can get in the way in no time.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Perhaps more time should be spent teaching the kids not to be so bloody stupid.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

s engaged the engine stop. It`s a real pain to disengage the blades and the n back up. There are not any kids or pets in the area so everything is clea r. How can I correct this problem? Thanks for any advice Herb

Going backwards you could fall off backwards and have the mower go over you. Going forward that can't happen, or at least it's much harder to happen.

Reply to
trader_4

There used to be quite a few hand and foot injuries before mowers required dead man switches. The only child I ever read about being a victim was a little kid who near a mower that kicked out a wire - think it was piece of coat hanger - and it penetrated his head, killing him. It usually won't make the news unless somebody is killed.

Reply to
Vic Smith

By all means sell mowers with those switches, etc, etc. IF the customer wants them, but never make safety mandatory.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Sounds some what like gun control. A criminal shoots up the bank, so all the peaceful and law abiding folks have to give up their guns.

And of course, Kman proves why we all need reverse safety switches.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

A gun has no use apart from killing. Other things they try to regulate like mowers and cars do.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

There was a fellow at work that was between 50 and 60 years old that almost lost some fingers on a mower. He thought the blades on his riding mower may not be turning so like a dummy he stuck his hand it there to see if he could feel the blades turning. He was lucky the blades just nicked the ends of about 3 fingers and after a few weeks they healed.

I guess the dead man switch might have saved him if he had to get off the mower to check that out.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

He wasn't worth saving. Protecting the stupid allows them to breed.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Mine has gone through two or three cords and one recoil in the last year.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Sorry to hear that. Do you encourage the mandatory safeties on mowers? Do you ever tell people how to bypass safeties?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I think you're right with small boys. They don't understand the concept of spinning blades and dangers they can't see. Eventually when they get some understanding, about age 25, then it's different.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

So, you're sitting on your riding mower, and then put your riding mower in reverse, as you're sitting. Fall off backwards? Well, I guess it's possible.

My Dad used to see people pulling walk-behind mowers backwards. He'd go have a safety lecture at them. The walking mowers, much more dangerous if pulled.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Actually momentum pushes you forwards.

No they're not. Nobody is stupid enough to keep pulling when it comes to their foot.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

If it takes them 25 years to understand rotation, they aren't worth saving.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

I bypassed the two handed switch system on my hedge trimmer. Now I can reach at arm's length to cut further.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

I suppose someone was cutting in reverse and looking forward.

Anyway, if that was a problem, why kill the engine when there's a way to disengage the blades?

Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

I'd rather have cigarettes than alcohol banned. Both can harm the user, but cigarettes directly harm other people (they stink too).

[snip]
Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Their problem.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Only if you continue to sit next to the person smoking. Are you tied up or something?

Reply to
Mr Macaw