Cutting holes in Glass/Mirrors

According to Chuck Connors :

We had the mirror supplier do it. Only cost a few bucks.

Cutting holes in glass isn't that hard, but I'd rather the risk be on someone else ;-)

Reply to
Chris Lewis

I am installing mirrored glass on a couple of walls for a home gym. I need to cut two holes in the mirrors for electrical outlets. The glass is not tempered.

How can this be done?

Thanks for any ideas.

-CC

Reply to
Chuck Connors

Last few times this question came up on here, consensus was to measure very carefully to make a template or diagram, and take the mirror back to the glass shop and pay them to make the hole. Even experts have trouble with this, and break them once in a while, but their expertise and correct tools improve the odds. And if they break it, they will give you a better price on the replacement.

Personally, I'd move the mirror and/or the outlets. If this is mirrored tile, I'd skip those squares, and maybe a few others so it looks balanced, and fill the holes with squares of something else- make it part of the decor.

aem sends....

aem sends...

Reply to
ameijers

Outlets are normally only about 16 inches off the floor. Why do you want the mirrors that low? Just start the mirrors above the outlets and paint or put paneling below. Besides, mirrors to the floor are likely to get smashed from objects, and if this is a gym, I assume you will be tossing balls and stuff. Even more of a chance to break them. I think anything less than 2 feet from the floor is too low.

If you insist on cutting them, let a glass company do the job. I like to do things myself, but this I would not attempt.

Mark

Reply to
maradcliff

Reply to