Cutting Floor

I need to replace a 5/8 plywood floor in a half bath. I want to cut it flush to the wall without having to tear up the drywall. I was planning to use a Sawzall (which will be a bit difficult to do neatly), but am wondering if a multi-function oscillating tool might be better suited. Money is a little tight right now. HF has a low cast tool available right now. Would this be up to the job? http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?itemnumbere700
Thanks!

You will probably need to pull the kick moulding up as well. That thing is probably going to be sloooow. I would still use a sawzall. Keep the damage to the wallboard low and it will be covered when you put the moulding back on. Make sure you don't have anything you need to avoid in the way of the sawzall. I would cut the center out with a circular saw set just deep enough to get the ply. Then work on the edges.

--
Thank you. I have taken off the moulding and see your point.

You can get an offset adapter for a sawzall that will allow you to do a flush cut. The blade does get a little floppy from the extra length, but with care it should work well. A common brand is "Paws Off".
Cheers, Wayne

Thanks! I've never seen one of those before. It looks very promising. I see there's some other hand accessories in the 'paws off' line too.

Hadn't seen this one myself either. Good one!

How about using a biscuit joiner, "face" down but, I dont suppose that would be a good idea if you have to cut thru nails etc
GTS wrote:

$20 more will get you the right tool for the job. (Well, the HF version of the right tool, anyway.) .
3-3/8" Blade Toe-Kick Saw http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber626
It might be worth checking with the local rental center to see if they have one rather than buying

Thanks, and thanks for the rental idea. I know just the place nearby to check.

And don't forget 20% more off the price 7/31-8/3
http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/common/displayCoupon.do?week109&campaign=RetailC&page=coupon1.html&custx080262025&keycode 00&single=true
-or-
http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/common/displayCoupon.do?week109&campaign=RetailC&page109_retailC.html&rS69_851350&custx080262025&keycode 00

I have one of those and I have used it 10 times in the 2 wks I've had it. Gotta remeber it's a HF so quality is not job one. But I love the damn thing. The principle and capabilities of these oscillating tools is great.
The HF blades will dull quickly and I think what you want to do is way too much for it.
Wayne's offset adapter looks a lot more promising.
As said, removing the baseboard, plan on it.
On occasion when using a tool near something I don't want to damage I keep a piece of sheet metal for such things to put between the tool and surface I want to preserve.
Red Green wrote:

You can "resharpen" the blades by cutting grooves in the blank with a rotary Dremel. The more grooves you cut, the better the resulting action.