Cutting dowel plugs

Some time ago I asked for ideas on cutting dowel plugs for a wooden floor with a chop saw. They had been flying off. Oddly enough (unusual in this group) I got no replies. I solved the problem by using two sheets of rubberized matting, the stuff you use on kitchen counters. I draped it on the bed on either side of the blade, making a sort of tent. It has enough surface friction to sit in place. Instead of flying off in all directions, the cut dowels are trapped by the rubber. I cut about 10 at a time. Just like slicing salami.

Reply to
Dick Smyth

"Dick Smyth" wrote in news:u%AZb.5404$ snipped-for-privacy@nnrp1.uunet.ca:

Good for you. I always use PVC tubing. Clamp it down next to the blade and shim the feed side.

Reply to
lowspauld