Cutting Crown Molding

From what I read...
Spring angle is 45 and it is narrow enough for my miter saw fence & .
For cutting outside corners the simplest method is cutting it in-position (at a 45 against the fence) aka upside down and backwards. This only requires a miter and no bevel. The cut angle is simply 1/2 of the angle. For example, an 85 degree corner gets a 47.5 miter cut with no bevel.
Is this oversimplified and I'm missing something?
http://quintgraphics.net/cart/the-original-true-angle%C2%AE-p-90.html?zenidcc07aadd491d47404d2ef9d0c1f8af2
http://quintgraphics.net/cart/miter-master-plus-p-160.html?zenidcc07aadd491d47404d2ef9d0c1f8af2
Oops! Sorry about the bad word wrap.
From what I read...
Spring angle is 45 and it is narrow enough for my miter saw fence & .
For cutting outside corners the simplest method is cutting it in-position (at a 45 against the fence) aka upside down and backwards. This only requires a miter and no bevel. The cut angle is simply 1/2 of the angle. For example, an 85 degree corner gets a 47.5 miter cut with no bevel.
Is this oversimplified and I'm missing something?
Wish I could find one of these locally. No woodworking shops around!
http://quintgraphics.net/cart/the-original-true-angle%C2%AE-p-90.html?zenidcc07aadd491d47404d2ef9d0c1f8af2
http://quintgraphics.net/cart/miter-master-plus-p-160.html?zenidcc07aadd491d47404d2ef9d0c1f8af2

Not all Crown has the same Spring angle - just sayin' "check it" and made certain.
Snoop around here for some DIY help I've used. (Sold at HD)
http://www.compoundmiter.com/index.html

I've seen that book there often. Don't know about the plastic angle tool though. Never really looked. I'll snoop HD online to see if I can find it. Of course, everything they have is not online.
Thanks for the reply.
Red Green wrote:

http://quintgraphics.net/cart/the-original-true-angle%C2%AE-p-90.html?zenidcc07aadd491d47404d2ef9d0c1f8af2
http://quintgraphics.net/cart/miter-master-plus-p-160.html?zenidcc07aadd491d47404d2ef9d0c1f8af2 Got a community/college/university near you? Try their bookstore.
Jon

Found a bunch of stuff online Jon. Was just looking for a sanity check to see if I understood it right. Thanks.
responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/Cutting-Crown-Molding-414400-.htm Matt wrote:
Red Green wrote:

Am I confused or is the scenerio above wrong ? If the cut angle is simply 1/2 of the angle and the deg corner is 85 how can the miter cut be 47.5. 85 deg divided by 2 is 42.5 degs.
I received the Miter Master Plus angle finder tool for a birthday gift last year. It has turned into one of my favorite tools.
Amazon.com just released a 10\" version Im hoping to purchase soon.

http://quintgraphics.net/cart/the-original-true-angle%C2%AE-p-90.html?zenidcc07aadd491d47404d2ef9d0c1f8af2
http://quintgraphics.net/cart/miter-master-plus-p-160.html?zenidcc07aadd491d47404d2ef9d0c1f8af2 RED Pull up rec.woodworking Lots of helpers on that site. Warren

Sounds like an option. Thanks.
Just thought I'd give the locals a chance to beat on me first :-)