Cutting copper

I am going to do some decorative work with thin copper sheeting. When you get into the really thin stuff, like about as thick as matchbook paper, is there an easy way to accurately cut it? The pieces would be cut at right angles. I know I can use snips, but that leaves a slight ridge, and I never can get a really straight cut. On some decorative items, I will just have to use snips of various sorts until I get the right combination.
Would a heavy duty paper cutter do the deed? Might still leave a small ridge, but that could be hammered down. Anyone have any experience with this?
Steve
Copper as you are aware, is not easy to finely machine because it tends to tear. If you could get access to a high school metal shop, you could use their sheet metal cutter. Perhaps you could give something to the class in exchange for the use of the cutter after school.

Because it tends to work-harden.

Basically the same principle as the paper cutter(lever-style),but with a wider cutting bar.
You can BUY sheetmetal cutters from Harbor Freight.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

never

I used to use a lever-style paper cutter to cut copper-plated raw fiberglas circuit board,it worked best on the thinner sheets,.062 or ,031. It should make nice straight cuts in thin copper sheet.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

If you are making long straight cuts, score it with a razor knife along a straight edge and snap it off.
Steve B writes:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?ItemnumberY07 http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber757
If you get the aviation-style snips, they are tightly scissored, and slightly "pinked" besides, and don't leave a little flange or burr at the cut.