cutting clay sewer pipe by hand

Thanks for the feedback on repairing a section of my clay sewer pipe. I have one more question. After I dig down to the broken section I'd like to use some kind of simple hand saw (eg hack saw) to cut the clay pipe. Would a hack saw work? I'm hoping I don't have to go rent a large heavy electrical saw. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks- Mike Salazar

If you want to knock yourself out you can get tungsten carbide grit edged blades for a hacksaw frame which will cut virtually anything see:
http://www.permagrit.com/system/index.html
I would use a cutoff disk in an angle grinder.
Regards,
John
<< I would use a cutoff disk in an angle grinder. >>
Change this to "lots of cutoff discs". I think I went through half a dozen discs (maybe more) to slice off a piece of 6" clay tile. Of course the mileage will vary. Had pretty good sucess on a job with 4" tile using a cheap 7 1/4" Chinese made diamond blade in a regular power saw. The tiles were not yet buried in that case. Maybe a diamond blade could be had for an angle grinder...it would be a real quick deal if so. Good luck.
Joe
Joe Bobst wrote:

Yes, either the Chinese diamond blade or an abrasive (masonry) blade. Once thru the glaze it's pretty quick cutting. You can saw around maybe 270 degrees of the pipe, then break off that chunk. Then saw the remaining part from *inside* the pipe.
Jim
The easiest way to cut clay swere pipe is with what the pro's use a pipe snapper which is available at most rental yards. If your pipe is out of the ground where you can get at it thecheapest way is to stand the pipe upright on the ground fillit with sand compacting with a 2X4 the take a cold chiesel and with a 2 lb hammer start chieseling around at your mark once you get a good notch formed the piece will crack on your line all by itself.