Cutting ceramic tile

I will be redoing a SMALL bathroom soon (less than 20 sq feet). I would like to put in a tile floor. I'll only be making a few cuts (2 walls and around the toilet. (Pedastal sink))

I've heard about "rod saw" blades to put in a hack saw for the curved cuts. Is there anything similar for the straight cuts? I don't want to spend too much on tools that I could put into other projects.

Thanks Brad

Reply to
Brad Bruce

When I first installed ceramic tile about 25 years ago, I tried a number of products to cut the tiles. I found it depends on the type of tile. The floor tile was like cutting cast iron, nothing worked except a rented diamond saw. I burned up a number of drill bits trying to cut the circle around the toilet flange. The wall tiles were easier, but took a lot of work to slowly cut them that I again rented a diamond saw. The diamond saw cut through both the floor tile and wall tiles like they were butter. Now it is the only way to go, and I now own one for the job.

Reply to
EXT

Go to a tile store and I think you will find you can rent the proper tools. Ceramic tile is great and PERMANENT as compared to other coverings. You will be glad you did it, if you do it right.

Reply to
Ken

For $59.00 you can buy a tile saw from harbor freight. It is not the best but works well and will do what you want it to do for only a little more than the rental fee.

Larry

Reply to
Old_boat

I had the tile store cut my tile which they were willing to do for free. I would mark a half dozen or so at a time and take them down to the store.

Reply to
Pat

Glass cutter and straight edge. Score the tile, snap over a dowel.

Your best bet is just to have the few cuts you need made at a shop.

Reply to
dadiOH

Brad Bruce wrote in news:Xns97188C172134CNJBradVerizonnet@199.45.49.11:

Thanks for the advice guys. After calling around and finally remembering that I knew a family member who works for a BORG, I've found that I can buy the wet saw for not too much money.

Of course now the wife wants the OTHER bathroom done as well....

Brad

Reply to
Brad Bruce