cutting board oil

I am sure you can buy it locally but:

Google search term: food grade mineral oil and click on the shopping results.

Don't use the veggie oil. Over time it will go rancid.

Reply to
Colbyt

That is a one way orifice... OUT!

Reply to
Tony Miklos

I know of one mineral oil that isn't food grade.... baby oil. It's mineral oil with perfume.

Reply to
Tony Miklos

My wife is a chef. She's says wood cutting boards are garbage. Wanted to buy her one once, because I like maple. Doesn't every man like a nice hardwood? Anyway, she said don't even think about it. Though I can't translate exactly from woman talk to man talk, my take on what she said is basically "Wood if for amateurs." Maybe even "A wood cutting board is sissy stuff." Like I say, hard to translate. At work she uses 3 plastic/acrylic cutting boards. Green for veggies, white for cooked meat, red for raw meat. They stain, but wash easily. There are safety rules in commercial kitchens. Wood or glass cutting boards not allowed. Here at home she has a frosted clear plastic/acrylic board. She loves it. It doesn't stain. It's scratched a bit, but washes easily.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

Hi, Isn't wood a bed for germ brewing of all kinds?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Yes, but the same oil is about a quarter of that at the drug store. Plain old USP mineral oil. Apply, let soak, repeat a couple of times and you are good to go for a very long time.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

A search for wood cutting board germs shows that wood is actually beter than the other boards as far as not having germs on them. It is probably a very good idea to use seperate boards for differant foods.

Even the 'experts' seem to be wrong when switching to the plastic type boards. Go with the wood.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

"Vic Smith" wrote

Yes, but I still prefer wood. It just looks better and works well with little care. In a pro kitchen, it is probably better to use the plastic though.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

"A. Baum" wrote

Show me a single instance of that and I'll cut up my wood boards and burn them. Meantime, I'm using the wood, protected with mineral oil, liberally applied when new.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I agree. While I understand about commercial kitchen rules not allowing them, ISTR some studies where the wood ones actually retarded bacterial growth better than plastic. (no, damnit, I do not have a cite.) Wood is definitely kinder to knives, though. I'll stick with wood ones, as long as my stock holds out, or they are available in stores.

I knew a guy back in the day, who had a good woodshop, and a good stock of hardwood plank cutoffs. He'd just run the cutting board through the planer every few weeks to expose a fresh surface, and when it got too thin, move on to the next chunk. The used ones either went in the fireplace, or got used out in the shop for whatever.

Reply to
aemeijers

Maybe if you pour it on and lick it off? I don't know, I've never tried that?

Reply to
Tony Miklos

LOL! You are really serious aren't you?

Reply to
Tony Miklos

No he didn't, either he believes what he wrote or his sarcasm isn't easily detectable.

Reply to
Tony Miklos

Yes, it's expensive mineral oil. Same as the cheap stuff in the pharmacy.

Yuck, I don't even eat olives.

Reply to
Tony Miklos

"Tony Hwang" wrote

You wash it.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Yes, if you leave the food on there for a very long time, or leave food at too high a temperature, and don't practice minimal cleaning. It will contaminate every surface it gets on. I wash mine after every use, and use bleach wipes frequently.

Steve

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Oh, I see, you're talking about using as much as you do on your wife. Well, yes, ABaum, I guess then you might get the runs.

Reply to
SteveB

Your homophobia is showing.

Reply to
Peter

Inquiring minds want to know - what are the other 2?

Reply to
Peter

OK, glad to see you wrote ABaum, I was being a tiny bit sarcastic about pouring it on and licking it off.

Reply to
Tony Miklos