cutting board oil

Page 2 of 3

You wash it.
Steve

A search for wood cutting board germs shows that wood is actually beter than the other boards as far as not having germs on them. It is probably a very good idea to use seperate boards for differant foods.
Even the 'experts' seem to be wrong when switching to the plastic type boards. Go with the wood.

Yes, but I still prefer wood. It just looks better and works well with little care. In a pro kitchen, it is probably better to use the plastic though.
On 2/28/2011 10:33 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I agree. While I understand about commercial kitchen rules not allowing them, ISTR some studies where the wood ones actually retarded bacterial growth better than plastic. (no, damnit, I do not have a cite.) Wood is definitely kinder to knives, though. I'll stick with wood ones, as long as my stock holds out, or they are available in stores.
I knew a guy back in the day, who had a good woodshop, and a good stock of hardwood plank cutoffs. He'd just run the cutting board through the planer every few weeks to expose a fresh surface, and when it got too thin, move on to the next chunk. The used ones either went in the fireplace, or got used out in the shop for whatever.
--
aem sends...

***
Look here: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=cutting+board+oil

Look here:
www.urch.com/...reading-comprehension/12306-how-improve-your-reading -comprehension-skills.html -
On 2/28/2011 3:16 PM, SteveB wrote:

and commonly used as a laxative. It is clear and comes in a bottle and can be found at your neighborhood drug store or pharmacy or if you want to pay more you can can get it at a kitchen store labeled as butcher block treatment.
On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 17:05:20 -0500, George wrote:

One correction. It can be harmful in larger than usual doses.
I would not use it for this purpose since you cannot predict how much it will contaminate the food. If it's too much, you'll shit yourself to death.
On 2/28/2011 5:10 PM, A. Baum wrote:

For cutting boards, you just wipe the oil on and wipe off again. Food grade would be that sold at pharmacies or food stores, safe to ingest. You would not get more than a trace of it on food, used properly. In long term use (ingestion), mineral oil can cause vitamin deficiency (of oil soluble vitamins, A, D, E and K).
On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 17:20:49 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net wrote:

That's fine. You do what you want with it. I use vegetable oil to stone my knives with. But then I wash everything after. If this dude's cutting board is drying/cracking, nothing will fix it. If he wants to prevent further degeneration he should use Canola, Peanut, Corn oil. Those aren't as much of a threat as petroleum based mineral oil.
Enuff said I'm outta this one.
On 2/28/2011 5:30 PM, A. Baum wrote:

Did you mean to write he *shouldn't* use vegetable oils such as canola corn oil because of rancidity issues?

On 2/28/2011 5:47 PM, George wrote:

No he didn't, either he believes what he wrote or his sarcasm isn't easily detectable.
On 2/28/2011 5:30 PM, A. Baum wrote:

LOL! You are really serious aren't you?

Show me a single instance of that and I'll cut up my wood boards and burn them. Meantime, I'm using the wood, protected with mineral oil, liberally applied when new.

Yes, if you leave the food on there for a very long time, or leave food at too high a temperature, and don't practice minimal cleaning. It will contaminate every surface it gets on. I wash mine after every use, and use bleach wipes frequently.
Steve
Steve
On 2/28/2011 5:10 PM, A. Baum wrote:

Maybe if you pour it on and lick it off? I don't know, I've never tried that?

Oh, I see, you're talking about using as much as you do on your wife. Well, yes, ABaum, I guess then you might get the runs.
On 3/1/2011 1:00 AM, SteveB wrote:

OK, glad to see you wrote ABaum, I was being a tiny bit sarcastic about pouring it on and licking it off.

Butcher shops use mineral oil. Any mineral oil is food grade. If you're gonna consider a petroleum product food grade ingestible, why be picky. Mineral oil has been recommended for ingestion to relieve severe constipation for decades. Not me! Mineral oil is available in any drug store, pharmacy, and most likely the over-the-counter pharmaceutical section of most supermarkets.
BTW, those old comedy movies of unfortunate kids having a hard time swallowing castor oil is true, but it's not the taste the kids are grimacing over, it's the density of the oil. Like mineral oil, trying to swallow a big ol' spoonfull of castor, mineral, and most other oils, is like trying to swallow a solid object. It induces one's gag reflex and is often next to impossible to choke down even if, like mineral oil, it's completely tasteless.
I choose not to oil my cutting board with any oil. I jes clean it with warm soap and water and sometimes a mild water/bleach solution. A good board, made of maple or some other appropriate wood and a quality glue, will last for years.
If you buy one of the huge butcher block tables that cost $$$$ and will last forever and insist on oiling it, use mineral oil. Those things get cleaned several times a day, and worn down from heavy use. So much meat passes over them, there's little chance of ingesting much mineral oil.
My aversion to ingesting petroleum products is jes my own personal hang-up. ;)
nb

I took one spoon of that in my whole life. It ranks in the top three worst things I have ever eaten. After they outlawed all the patent medicines with cocaine and the good stuff in them, castor oil was the cureall. You didn't dare look like you were sick or ............................
SteveB
Heart surgery pending? Read up and prepare. Download the book $10 http://cabgbypasssurgery.com