cutting board oil

Page 1 of 3
What is food grade mineral oil? Do I get it at the hardware store or? I just read wykepedia about oils to use on a cutting board that I have that is drying up, and starting to split. It also suggests poppyseed or tung oil, not sure where to get that, either. It seems to say NOT to use any kind of cooking oil, as it becomes rancid. What do YOU use?
Steve
On 2/28/2011 12:16 PM SteveB spake thus:

Well, *I* use cooking oil, thank you very much. Works fine for me. Haven't noticed any problems with rancidity; just a matter of keeping the board reasonably clean. Olive oil or whatever works fine.
DON'T USE TUNG OIL! At least not the boiled variety; contains toxic stuff (driers). Maybe UNBOILED linseed oil. But just use ordinary vegetable oil.
Dunno about food-grade mineral oil; sounds OK, but I don't know where to get it either.
--
The phrase "jump the shark" itself jumped the shark about a decade ago.

- Usenet
On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 12:37:26 -0800, David Nebenzahl

The laxative section of your nearest drugstore.
"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
On 2/28/2011 12:16 PM SteveB spake thus:

Well, *I* use cooking oil, thank you very much. Works fine for me. Haven't noticed any problems with rancidity; just a matter of keeping the board reasonably clean. Olive oil or whatever works fine.
--------------
Olive oil is one of the most unstable oils around. That is a big no-no. That is really bad unsanitary advice you giving.
The only cooking oil you can use to seal cutting boards is coconut oil because it's the only stable inert cooking oil there is.
It's best to use either beeswax or USP mineral oil or any other inert oil.
Disinfect win vinegar periodically. Use salt as a stain remover.
You can use RAW tung oil but I dunno any cook that does.
Bed, Bath & Beyond sells stuff that seems okay. It was near the cutting boards.
Don't use olive oil.

Yes, but the same oil is about a quarter of that at the drug store. Plain old USP mineral oil. Apply, let soak, repeat a couple of times and you are good to go for a very long time.
On 2/28/2011 5:58 PM, Shaun Eli wrote:

Yes, it's expensive mineral oil. Same as the cheap stuff in the pharmacy.

Yuck, I don't even eat olives.

I am sure you can buy it locally but: http://www.google.com/search?q=food-grade+mineral+oil&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a#q=food-grade+mineral+oil&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=ljs&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=ivns&source=univ&tbs=shop:1&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=XDBsTbmEPMq_tgfc_sDmAg&ved EYQrQQ&biw40&bihq5&bav=on.1,or.&fp3424583e0d5426
Google search term: food grade mineral oil and click on the shopping results.
Don't use the veggie oil. Over time it will go rancid.
--
Colbyt
On 2/28/2011 3:16 PM, SteveB wrote:

drugstore
On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 12:16:23 -0800, SteveB wrote:

The same mineral oil you take when you need to take a shit.
You can get it at any drug store.
On 2/28/2011 3:16 PM, SteveB wrote:

Go to the pharmacy and get the stuff they sell for, um, bowel lubrication.

For innies or outies?
Sorry, someone had to say it...........................................
I'll just leave now ..........................
Steve ;-)
On 2/28/2011 4:49 PM, SteveB wrote:

That is a one way orifice... OUT!
On 2/28/2011 9:51 PM, Tony Miklos wrote:

Your homophobia is showing.
On 3/1/2011 1:01 PM, Peter wrote:

Good Gawd, straight couples do that also, I prefer not. Now what kind of phobia do I have? Never mind, don't answer that.

Tung oil I would not use , it hardens as a finish that will wear off into your food. I dont know of any non food grade "mineral oil", its all edible from the pharmacy.
On 2/28/2011 4:39 PM, ransley wrote:

I know of one mineral oil that isn't food grade.... baby oil. It's mineral oil with perfume.
On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 21:53:03 -0500, Tony Miklos

My wife is a chef. She's says wood cutting boards are garbage. Wanted to buy her one once, because I like maple. Doesn't every man like a nice hardwood? Anyway, she said don't even think about it. Though I can't translate exactly from woman talk to man talk, my take on what she said is basically "Wood if for amateurs." Maybe even "A wood cutting board is sissy stuff." Like I say, hard to translate. At work she uses 3 plastic/acrylic cutting boards. Green for veggies, white for cooked meat, red for raw meat. They stain, but wash easily. There are safety rules in commercial kitchens. Wood or glass cutting boards not allowed. Here at home she has a frosted clear plastic/acrylic board. She loves it. It doesn't stain. It's scratched a bit, but washes easily.
--Vic
Vic Smith wrote:

Hi, Isn't wood a bed for germ brewing of all kinds?