cutting accurate canister light holes in celing

I have nine new 5" canister lights installed in my kitchen ceiling joists. I will be putting either wood ceiling panels or drywall up on the ceiling. Any suggestions on how to insure accurate 5" circle cut location in the drywall/panels to match the existing canister ring locations ?
Thanks, TR
Have you thought about using a rotary cutting tool, like a "Rotozip", fitted with a guide bit? You would attach the drywall loosely (so as not to crack it), and run the bit up into the electrical box. Push it outward until it hits the edge, and you'll know where the hole starts. Pull the tool out far enough to "skip" over the edge of the junction box, and then plunge it down again. The guide bit will allow you to run the tool around the perimiter of the box and cut a perfect hole. (guide bits have approx. 1/8" on the tip of the bit which does not have a cutting surface)
Takes a bit of practice, and it's dusty, but you get a great result.
good luck.
MFTimR wrote:

You cut the holes AFTER the drywall is up, not before. I've found the easiest way to do it is a plumbob, hold it in the center of the fixture and mark the floor. Once the drywall is up use the bob to line up to the mark on the floor, use a rotozip or similar and just cut out the hole...very simple.
Measure twice, cut once.
If that's not enough, here are some possibilities: 1) Put charcoal on the edge of the cans, then hold the panel against the ceiling. Cut on the circle. 2) Tack the panel up temporarily, go in the attic, remove the top of the can, and draw a circle around the inside of the can. I don't know if you have the kind that work this way -- most of them won't. 3) Make another run to the box store when you cut one piece in the wrong place.
Good luck.