Cutting a Preformed Laminate Countertop

Hello all,

I'm getting ready to install preformed laminate countertops that come in right and left hand miters. The ones I'll be using have an integrated back splash and a bullnosed edge. A picture of what I'm talking about is available at:

They seem like a fairly good solution for the price, but I'm a little lost as to which is the best way to cut them. There's one butt joint that will fall at my kitchen sink and if it's not square and true the seam will have gaps. Does anyone know how to make this join tight?

I thought about using a jig and a fine toothed skilsaw, but the backsplash prevents it. A bandsaw would work well if I had one large enough for the job, but I don't. My idea at this point is to use a jigsaw and a belt sander to dress the edge.

I welcome any ideas.

Thanks in advance,

-Tom

Reply to
trbo20

I'd find someone with a good tablesaw or radial arm saw and buy them a six pack of their favorite beverage. IMO, anything done with a jigsaw is not going to be as perfect as needed for that application.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Idea 1: Put some wide masking tape covering where you want the cut to be on the top of the counter top. Turn the counter over and mount a straight on the back. Use a quality fine tooth blade in your skill saw. After you made the initial cut in the counter top come back and finish the cut in the back splash.

Any cut you have to clean up with a sander won't be very tight.

Idea 2: Cut the counter long then clean up with a router, flush cut bit and a straigt edge.

Idea 3: Personally I would use the Radial arm saw and six pack advice. Where do you live? (I like micro brews!)

Reply to
Oughtsix

Just for the heck of it, call a local woodworking shop and ask them what they would charge to do it for you. IMO, $20 or $30 for a near perfect job would save a ton of grief and let you get on with the other elements of your project. Most importantly, use the trigonometry you had in school to get your corner measurements dead accurate. Also, remember that the back splash has to fit up against an absolutely straight walls to avoid the ugly gaps that are the curse of the DIY countertop installations. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Beverage use AFTER the cut.