Cutting a notch in the bottom plate

Page 1 of 2
I need to notch the bottom plate (pressure treated 2x4) that is sitting on a concrete slab. I can't use a recipricating saw because of the concrete slab below.
Can I use a 4" grinder to cut the notch? I have a diamond blade (for concrete) and a metal blade but no wood grinder blade. Can I use the diamond blade to cut the PT wood or will it "burn" and ruin the blade?
I guess the perfect tool would be one of those vibrating multi-cutter but I don't want to buy a tool just to make one notch.
Ideas?
responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/Cutting-a-notch-in-the-bottom-plate-591671-.htm Nestor Kelebay wrote:
MiamiCuse:
What about just using an ordinary hand saw. If you hit the concrete and it dulls the saw, you can always have the saw re-sharpened. Alternatively, make most of the cut with the hand saw, and then use a chisel to remove the wood between the cuts.
Also, if you know anyone with a router, you can use a straight 1/4 inch wide bit, and just lower the bit 1/8 inch or so with every pass.
------------------------------------- ..in solidarity with the movement for change in Iran.
On 10/20/2010 08:41 PM, Nestor Kelebay wrote:

http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/Cutting-a-notch-in-the-bottom-plate-591671-.htm
rather than an "ordinary hand saw" I'm thinking a miter saw, if you have one, might be easier. I agree, don't cut all the way through, just most of the way, then cut out the rest with a chisel.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

It is a little smoky but you can just use a regular black cutoff wheel. I have seen guys cut wood with their diamond saw but not on purpose. A skil saw with a carbide blade works too. If you kiss the concrete it won't hurt it much

You have a couple of answers; how I do not know because I am still trying to figure out what type of notch, for what and where.
I am sure it can be done. I may even have a suggestion with a little more information.
--
Colbyt

That's been my suggestion to him for quite some time now...more information - please! Sometimes it's like pulling teeth...
MiamiCuse wrote:

Use the sawzall, blades are cheap.

Exactly! Assuming he has clearance to use it it is the only logical answer. I can't believe all the "off the wall suggestions" to keep from ruining a 50 cent blade. My God, those blades are thowaways.
Harry K
On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 08:05:09 -0700 (PDT), Harry K

It SOUNDS like his only reason for not using the recip is he's too cheap to waste a blade ( and I've done it many times without damaging a blade) - so it APPEARS he is cutting a "gap" in the plate, not a notch (which would be only part way throught)
On Oct 21, 3:59pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Or he's cutting a vertical notch. It could be all sorts of things, but we're all just guessing what the hell he's thinking.
This is what I mean - he posts these incomplete questions and then disappears while people try to help him and there's all sorts of guessing about what he is trying to do. Then, sometimes, he comes back with, "Oh, no, that's not what I meant!" He used to ask questions on alt.architecture and it was always the same deal. He'd ask questions after he already started tearing things up and people would be telling him that he was going off half-cocked and cocking up the job. The guy just refuses to learn. Or maybe it's me that refuses to learn - I keep trying to answer his questions, so I guess that makes me the stupid one.

How about using a drill bit (either an auger or a paddle bit) to drill a hole where you want the notch and finishing it off with a chisel?
cheers Bob

I can't believe nobody has posted the obvious. Just use a hammer and chisel, or have we all gone away to power tools?
Rob

Obvious? You are making a number of assumptions, which may or may not be correct, and it is far from obvious. The OP, as per his standard modus operandi, has given little information about where the notch is to be located. For all we know, it's on the bottom of the plate, in a corner, and behind a toilet. Like real estate, location is everything.
At some point I figure he'll realize that he's wasting time - everyone's - by asking questions with incomplete information, not posting pictures, and assuming that people can read his mind.
In the desire for more complete information when questions are posted, hope springs eternal.

BTW, if the OP is asking about a notch, he's not cutting all the way through, right? If he's using the wrong word and asking because he doesn't want to _slightly_ dull an old reciprocating saw blade, then I must assume he's just being difficult. And cheap.
On 10/21/2010 8:13 AM, rlz wrote:

yepper. This is a perfect application for the crap chisel and 2-lb hammer from HF. Growing up, every electrician/plumber I knew kept a crap 1.5" chisel with a fold of tape over the end in his tool box. Of course, sometimes the carpenters would have a few words to say about the random attacks on their fine framing, but hey, that is how it goes.
--
aem sends...

-snip-

My crap chisel is made from an old coarse file I found buried in the mud one day. It takes a good edge on a grinding wheel & if I find a hardened nail that chips it, I just grind it shorter.
Jim

Been there done this. Use a sawsall and throw the blade away when you're done. I buy packs of the el cheapo wood blades for my sawsall so I can toss one if I need to cut something that is going to trash it. Like wood with nails, tree root in the dirt, wood next to concrete or block.

Use the recip saw. -----
- gpsman
MiamiCuse wrote:

Then use a chisel and hammer. Jeez...
--

dadiOH

You have a host of suggestions so far that depend on location, accessability, etc. Only you know the situation.
You obviously don't have one of these oscillation tools of some brand yet or you wouldn't be posting the Q.
http://oscillatingtool.org http://www.harborfreight.com/multifunction-power-tool-67256.html http://www.harborfreight.com/variable-speed-multifunction-power-tool-67537.html