Cutting a groove in concrete driveway

The groove would only be like 1/4 deep or so. I need to run a peice of wire for my underground dog fence across the driveway. Could I just use a circular saw and carbide blade, or do I need to rent one of those big quickie saw type deals??

Thanks for the help

Reply to
HUGH FOCKER

I'd try running it through the nearest expansion joint between the driveway & curb. Or using a high pressure water nozzle on a stick of pvc to make a hole under the drive.

Reply to
Bob S.

Thanks for the tips...... The PVC trick might be the the way because the closest expansion joint is either too far inside or outside the area I need.

Thanks Again

Reply to
HUGH FOCKER

For the rental price you could buy a Chinese diamond blade for your saw. Got one at Menard's some months ago for around $10 IIRC. Real handy for light duty brick and block work. Out of respect for the saw bearings extensive use shouild be restricted. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

You need a diamond, not carbide tipped saw for cutting concrete. Lots of water helps with the cooling, and keeping the blade from frying.

A 14" gas powered saw would make quick work of it, and may not be that much more to rent than purchasing a 7" diamond blade.

Reply to
John Hines

I'd have to agree with the pvc tunneling idea. I did this for my sprinker system and it worked great. You can buy the nozzle head that you attach to the pvc pipe in the sprinker section of any home improvement store.

This also saves you the hassle of having to patch over the driveway after you lay down the wire.

Tunneling under an expansion joint is recommended to prevent cracks from forming from voids that your tunnel caused. Hope this helps.

Herb

Reply to
herbpatterson