Cutting 1/2" rebar

I need to cut some 1/2" rebar. I have a Sawzall with a metal cutting blade and a circular saw with a cut off wheel. I don't have a torch or access to one or a decent bolt cutter. Ideas on the best method to cut this stuff? TIA
I would use an angle grinder with the appropriate cutting wheel.
Maybe depends how much you're gonna cut. For modest amount, I've used circ saw w metal cutting blade- if you do, wear goggles and long sleeves- it's a sparkly job.
I agree, have done it this way for a modest job. Had to do it after dark, made some pretty fireworks.

I've preferred the angle grinder with cutoff wheel myself. It's much easier to handle than a circular saw. If you had only one or two pieces, go with the sawzall (safer than a circ-saw). If you have more than a couple, use the angle grinder - or circular saw if you don't have the grinder (though a cheap one can usually be found at Harbor Freight for $25 or so).
Sev wrote:

You only need to cut about half way through the rebar, then you'll be able to break it off by bending the rebar at the cut. I cut over 240 pieces this way with a hacksaw and I only went through 2 blades. Hope this helps.
Doug
You can cut 1/2" rebar fairly easily with a hacksaw. You only need to cut about 1/2 way through the bar then you can bend the rebar at the cut and it will break. Rebar seems to be fairly soft metal. Hope this helps.
Doug

My favorites, in order of preference
Ironworker hydraulic cutter cut off saw LONG pair of bolt cutters band saw grinder hack saw
Depends on how much you are going to do, where you are going to do it, other variables.
BTW, I got a pair of bolt cutters at a police auction for $10. They are American made, and will cut just about anything. Really handy for lots of things.
Steve
Steve B wrote:

Yeah, I bet the crook that got nabbed with them really misses them!
Next lot is a set of burglar's tools - assorted lockpicks, jimmies and other breaking and entering related gear. Who'll start off the bidding? Can I get $10? ;)
Other than the band saw, the order seems right to me.
NickySantoro wrote:

How much are you going to cut? Why not just use a hack saw. Rebar is very soft so you can cut through 1/2" stuff almost as fast by hand with a new blade as with a power saw.
NickySantoro wrote:

Take it from an old rod buster. Go to the rental store and rent a manual or electric rebar cutter. With a manual you can cut two at a time in about 1 second if the blades are good. Don't waste your time with cutting it with a saw or blade.

I use my DeWalt grinder with a 4" steel cutting blade. It works quickly on rebar. I cut about halfway through and then I can bend and break off the piece easily. That grinder is one of the most handiest tools I own. I've solved a lot of nasty plumbing demolition jobs and cutting off large nails sticking through studs when renovating, etc. It's indispensible for home maintenance.
-- Take care,
Mark & Mary Ann Weiss
VIDEO PRODUCTION . FILM SCANNING . DVD MASTERING . AUDIO RESTORATION Hear my Kurzweil Creations at: http://www.dv-clips.com/theater.htm Business sites at: www.dv-clips.com www.mwcomms.com www.adventuresinanimemusic.com <--Now with Hi-Fi Stereo Streaming Audio! -
On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 12:57:41 -0500, NickySantoro
Thanks to all who responded. I only need to make a total of 6 cuts to turn two eight foot lengths into eight four foot pieces. I'll start with the hacksaw and go from there as needed. Again, thanks to all. NS
On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 18:19:04 -0500, NickySantoro