Cut rubber flap?

Page 1 of 2
I got a replacement flap for a dog door that is made from recycled tire rubber. Damned thing is out-of-spec, a little too long for the dog door, bottom drags over aluminum frame, makes it very hard for ancient doggie to go thru door.
I figure I need to trim about 1/8 " off the bottom of the flap, which is 5/16" thick. Any idea of a good way (tool or <whatever>) to get it done?
Thx, P
On 10/26/2011 4:01 PM, Puddin' Man wrote:

I'd try it on the bandsaw as first go, likely...

wet sharp knife. Wet with soapy water makes it easier
On 10/26/2011 6:36 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote: ...

At the thickness given, that'll take a while--I'm into quick 'n easy...

Yeah, because EVERYONE has a band saw just sitting around.
(rolling eyes)
On 10/26/2011 6:46 PM, Ron wrote:

Should... :)
Or, if not, here's the "need"; everybody _does_ need/deserve another toy.

Why waste time? Just use your chop saw and be done with it. You do have a chop saw? I do.
On 10/26/2011 10:58 PM, Ron wrote:

Which one, the slider or non? :)

Chop saw? Isn't that a bandsaw that butchers use?

Mine doesn't just sit around. It has an active social life.

On 10/26/2011 2:01 PM, Puddin' Man wrote:

a metal straight edge and a razor knife
On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 14:46:06 -0700, chaniarts

And dipping the knife in water will make a world of difference.
Jim

Remember, tough tire rubber, at least 5/16" thick. Might go 3/8.
Razor knife? How about a barber's straight razor?
On 10/26/2011 07:42 PM, Puddin' Man wrote:

Alternately, try a jigsaw if you don't have a bandsaw? Clamp flap to scrap of plywood for stability while cutting?
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Have you tried cutting tire sidewalls or conveyor belting with a well soaped utility knife??? Just like buttah!!!
Puddin' Man wrote:

Uh, it should work, but why ruin a straight razor to cut a bit of rubber when there are so many alternate methods available? * Band saw * Jig saw * Table saw * Hand saw of almost any variety: Regular, coping, limb-trimming, cross-cut, etc. * A rotary Dremel * Almost any kind of knife * A (sharp) machete and a hammer * A grinder with a coarse wheel * Take to a print shop and have them chop it with their big paper cutter
and so on

How about just getting out your utility knife (which you can keep a shape blade in), spray the rubber with soapy water, cut it, and be done with it.

A fresh blade in a utility knife and some soapy water.
Nice and slow. And tricky b/c there's an embedded magnet very close to the edge. Still, easier than I thought. :-)
Many thanks, P

And expect to make several passes. The metal yard stick or straight edge keeps the cuts in the same place.

I made some rubber dog 'tags' once... to go between metal ones for noise abatement. I had a sheet of scrap about 1/8" thick that had fabric within, but other than that I have no clue as to what type of rubber it was.
I roughed them out with sheet metal shears, and they looked awful. Then on a hunch, tried cleaning one up with the bench grinder... it worked wonderfully!
As always YMMV, use caution and good judgment. Mark your cut line/s in advance and go slow. You don't even want to think about getting the rubber jammed between the wheel and tool rest. If like mine, the wheel will cut effortlessly, like a hot knife through butter...
BTW, the rubber 'tags' work great, eliminating well over 90% of the clanging/clattering.
Good Luck! Let us know how it goes...
Erik