Cut new opening in air duct?

The utility room (housing the furnace/AC and HWS) is next door to the room that is to become my den/study. The main duct passes through this room but has no vent into that room. Is it OK to cut a hole in the duct and install an adjustable vent there?
FB
On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 14:07:27 -0500, Frederica Bloggs

I assume you have excess capacity in the house and can spare the heat/cool? PJ
It will likely not heat the new room well and will reduce the heat in the next room. The supply and size of the duct will need to be large enough for both and the total supply (furnace) will need to be large enough.
Of course you could just try it and hope. You may get lucky.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
Yes.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn More about Jesus
SM> Yes.
SM> --
SM> Christopher A. Young Learn More about Jesus www.lds.org SM> www.mormons.com
SM> The utility room (housing SM> the furnace/AC and HWS) is next door to the room that is to become SM> my den/study. The main duct passes through this room but has no vent SM> into that room. Is it OK to cut a hole in the duct and install SM> an adjustable vent there?
SM> FB
If you actually knew anything about ductwork you would know that this could throw off the whole system. they are designed for a certain static and number of runs and this could cause quite a few problems.
-=> HvacTech2 <=-
.. URA Redneck if you hold a frog and _it_ worries about getting warts.

Is it ok? You can do whatever you want...
Will it work? Unless you understand static pressure, and why its there and what the hole will do to it, and how to maintain it...no.