Cut-back adhesive question

I'm removing old floor tile that was installed using cutback adhesive. (Yes, I realize both the tile and the adhesive may contain asbestos and am taking appropriate steps to minimize risk.) I plan to install ceramic tile and have purchased thinset that can be used over cutback adhesive.

Removing the tile is relatively easy, but removing the cutback is very difficult. How much of it do I have to remove in order to get a good bond with the thinset?

Reply to
JA

If this is a concrete floor, I would use a floor scraper and get down to the concrete. There will be cut back stain in the concrete, but the glue ridges will be gone.

Here is the type scraper I use:

down to the number 350, 360, and 390

Reply to
DanG

Get as much - if not all - of the toxic stuff off. You can't just cover it up afterwards and expect to not be exposed.

I interesting article I read about exactly this turned up on my google search for what to do about the gunk under the carpet.

You might find it interesting:

Joe C.

Reply to
JoeC