Cut a Circle on a Table Saw - Revisited

From a previous post in this NG:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wxbzrf4z_cg

I had a need to cut four 16" circles out of plywood today and used it as an opportunity to try this on a table saw. Worked slick. Made a less elaborate base for the pivot point as it's not something I would do frequently. The principle is what I wanted to explore.
Be sure to wear safety glasses if you try it. Obviously since I can still see to type this I wore mine :-) Lot's of small pieces can and did kick out from the outside of the blade and table top
What's that? Something on the Internet that's true?!!!

What? No duct tape involved???

I said eyes were ok...duct tape used to reattach finger though :-)

Not funny, I just lost left index with a table saw :-(

Man....sorry to hear that.
I had a 8th grade shop teacher that had cut off fingers on both hands. I take power tool safety VERY seriously. He was a good teacher.
od

Not meant to be maliciously funny and would never wish it on anyone.
Red Green wrote:

I saw a guy mash his fingers in a conveyor giving a safety lecture.
Van Chocstraw wrote:

Demos like that are best done with a hot dog.
On Mon, 4 May 2009 19:59:52 -0500, in alt.home.repair, "Al"

Hey, no whining. OK, I know it sucks ass at first, but fifteen-twenty years from now you'll wonder why you ever thought you needed it. And don't forget that now you have an awesome nose-picking gag to freak out little kids everywhere...personally I get the best squicks with the finger-in-the-eye gag....
srsly though, sympathies and best wishes...welcome to the club....
--
Due to Usenet spam, emailed replies must pass an intelligence test: if
you want me to read your reply, be sure to include this line of text in

Interesting but I would never get my hands that close to the blade while the saw is running. That was hard for me to watch.
od

See this video. Amazing what a saw blade can do.
New Cool Tool ARCUS Cutting System

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9UVBF128E0

buy a bandsaw

It's buy ME a bandsaw Joe.
Red Green wrote:

I guess I'll go see woodguy.com. I'll be using this circle cutting method soon.

I cu wo 1 " ci cles es erda wi is e od a d i 's di ic l o pe.
(typing without index fingers)
But seriously I did use this method yesterday and the video saved me some time figuring out a jig. I already had a sliding miter jig so all I needed to do was add a 1/4" machine screw and drill a hole in each piece to be cut. They needed a hole anyway. These were 16 1/4" circles and I would not use this method for anything much smaller than that. At least not without making/installing some guards.

o ave o balls.

Yea, well I still have my fingers ;-)
I know. Real Men are deaf, blind in one eye, and have no more than seven fingers.