Cut a Circle on a Table Saw - Revisited

From a previous post in this NG:

I had a need to cut four 16" circles out of plywood today and used it as an opportunity to try this on a table saw. Worked slick. Made a less elaborate base for the pivot point as it's not something I would do frequently. The principle is what I wanted to explore.

Be sure to wear safety glasses if you try it. Obviously since I can still see to type this I wore mine :-) Lot's of small pieces can and did kick out from the outside of the blade and table top

What's that? Something on the Internet that's true?!!!

Reply to
Red Green

What? No duct tape involved???

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Interesting but I would never get my hands that close to the blade while the saw is running. That was hard for me to watch.

od

Reply to
olddog

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in news:V1KLl.28963$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe24.iad:

I said eyes were ok...duct tape used to reattach finger though :-)

Reply to
Red Green

See this video. Amazing what a saw blade can do.

New Cool Tool ARCUS Cutting System

Oren

Not funny, I just lost left index with a table saw :-(

Reply to
Al

Man....sorry to hear that.

I had a 8th grade shop teacher that had cut off fingers on both hands. I take power tool safety VERY seriously. He was a good teacher.

od

Reply to
olddog

buy a bandsaw

Reply to
Joe

"Al" wrote in news:cbSdnWHpLfQPEmLUnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@trueband.net:

Not meant to be maliciously funny and would never wish it on anyone.

Reply to
Red Green

"Joe" wrote in news:jkMLl.1345$ snipped-for-privacy@newsreading01.news.tds.net:

It's buy ME a bandsaw Joe.

Reply to
Red Green

Hey, no whining. OK, I know it sucks ass at first, but fifteen-twenty years from now you'll wonder why you ever thought you needed it. And don't forget that now you have an awesome nose-picking gag to freak out little kids everywhere...personally I get the best squicks with the finger-in-the-eye gag....

srsly though, sympathies and best wishes...welcome to the club....

Reply to
usenet-659f31de7f953aeb

I saw a guy mash his fingers in a conveyor giving a safety lecture.

Reply to
Van Chocstraw

I guess I'll go see woodguy.com. I'll be using this circle cutting method soon.

Reply to
Van Chocstraw

Demos like that are best done with a hot dog.

Reply to
Pete C.

I cu wo 1 " ci cles es erda wi is e od a d i 's di ic l o pe.

(typing without index fingers)

But seriously I did use this method yesterday and the video saved me some time figuring out a jig. I already had a sliding miter jig so all I needed to do was add a 1/4" machine screw and drill a hole in each piece to be cut. They needed a hole anyway. These were 16 1/4" circles and I would not use this method for anything much smaller than that. At least not without making/installing some guards.

Reply to
Ulysses

"Ulysses" wrote in news:gu1nr2$dso$ snipped-for-privacy@news.motzarella.org:

t t 6 r y t y th th m t n t

o ave o balls.

Reply to
Red Green

Yea, well I still have my fingers ;-)

I know. Real Men are deaf, blind in one eye, and have no more than seven fingers.

Reply to
Ulysses