Custom shower construction

I am planning on building a custom shower in my bathroom which will utilize a PVC/CPE membrane under a multi layer mortar/wire fabric floor. The plans I have detailing the construction of this floor seem pretty straight forward with some of the gottcha's being maintaining the integrity of the PVC/CPE membrane and working in enough of a slope in the floor to eliminate standing water (Lets not forget the integrity of the seem where the floor and wall meet).

Are there any other high points I should focus on? Or if you have any experience in constructing custom Tile showers what advice would you give? Are there any other products which work better/last longer than a PVC/CPE membrane? Is a 2x4 stack (two 2x's nailed together) with a wire mesh and mortar covering be sufficient for the curb or would a single poured quick crete (concrete) type of curb be best (keeping in mind that I plan on constructing a glass block wall on the curb)

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks.

sk

Reply to
sk

I would be interested in where you got the information. I am thinking of a project like this, but have too little information at this time.

I would also be interested in how your project turns out.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Wealth of info. ;)

LBaker

Thanks

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I would consider a copper pan instead of PVC. But I am always looking for excuses to buy new tools.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

I'd strongly suggest you get a copy of Setting Tile by Michael Byrne. He discusses this very subject in some detail. I think he also has a video on it.

We did something a bit less demanding (upstairs laundry with floor drain), and used a troweled-on membrane for waterproofing. Probably this is less favored for something like a shower (too great a chance of leaving a gap), but was dead simple to apply - trowel on in one direction, let dry, trowel on crosswise, let dry again, and then thinset and tile.

Reply to
Yasashii Arbaito