custom bookcases

Page 2 of 2
iradi8:

Custom anything is expensive, but mostly you are seeing the difference between the cost of real cabinetry and the stuff made by slave labor dumped here by China.
I would have to see examples of the cabinetmaker's work to tell if it's expensive or not.
--
Mac Cool

Yeah, makes sense. He is well known in the community and stays very busy. His work is always good quality.
Sloan

That price is very possible for a good custom setup, but could be high for fairly simple stuff. .Depends on the specs and material used. Ask over on rec.woodworking for some places to go or people to contact.

Thanks, will do that.
Sloan
Ikea has a lot of this type of thing for far less than $6K, and you can take them with you when you move.
I don't understand why you want wood if they are to be painted?
iradi8 wrote:

there.
scribbled this interesting note:

Ikea does not have what the local, high quality craftsman can make. They have nothing even close.

Personal preference?

What else would I use? I want good quality, a nice surface, strength, durability.
Sloan

I haven't read all the answers to your query, but let me tell you about my similar situation. When we bought our first house, we wanted to add kitchen cabinets. They had to match what the builder had installed. When we got a price quote from the local cabinet maker we were floored at the cost.
What I did was decide to build them myself. I bought a radial arm saw, although a table saw would have also been a good choice. You can buy the right kind of material for your project and build what you want without having to compromise with what is available.
When I got done, the cost including the tools needed were less than the price quote and now I still have that saw and the other tools even though it is four houses later.
Charlie
Charlie Bress:

I think if you really think about it you'll realize that you didn't build them to save money, but because deep down you wanted to and had the aptitude.
--
Mac Cool

scribbled this interesting note:

In my experience, doing a high quality paint job (semi-gloss, oil based) on wood is more time consuming and tedious than a stain and varnish (satin or low sheen, which is my preference) job of equal quality. This may account for some of the high cost.
A very high quality set of book shelves, like you describe, built by a custom, high end cabinet maker, isn't disposable furniture like you find at Wal-Mart, Sams, Office Depot, Staples, Ikea, or most any home furnishing store. If you hire this fellow to build your shelves you then have heirloom quality furniture that will last several lifetimes. If you look at the cost per day of ownership across all those lifetimes, that $6,000.00 piece of furniture was actually cheaper to own than that disposable stuff you see every day.
They are pretty big, so figure $500 for oak lumber and maybe $100 for other supplies. Making them cabinet quality could easily take 2 weeks, at $60/hour; that is $4,800. So, yeah, we are in the $6,000 range easily enough.
Now, if you just want some painted pine bookcases, and want them to look "nice", you could probably find someone to make pretty decent ones for under $2,000.