custom bookcases

They are pretty big, so figure $500 for oak lumber and maybe $100 for other supplies. Making them cabinet quality could easily take 2 weeks, at $60/hour; that is $4,800. So, yeah, we are in the $6,000 range easily enough.

Now, if you just want some painted pine bookcases, and want them to look "nice", you could probably find someone to make pretty decent ones for under $2,000.

Reply to
toller

Photo here:

I would say I put about 10 hours total time in. Building them is really not difficult. I used Oak plywood. Just build boxes five sides and screw them to the walls. Add a little trim, adjustable shelves and you are done (one row of shelves was not adjustable to strength the box.)

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Nice looking cabinets Joseph.

Reply to
Colbyt

Very nice.

Reply to
The Dave©

Yes, exactly. The white bookcases on that site are similar to the ones we want.

Thanks, Sloan

Reply to
iradi8

What else would I use? I want good quality, a nice surface, strength, durability.

Sloan

Reply to
iradi8

Sloan

Reply to
iradi8

Thanks.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Thanks.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Thanks.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

iradi8:

Check with other cabinetmakers, also check with finish carpenters. You can find someone to build something similiar for a few thousand, although the fit and finish may not be as fine as the first cabinetmaker.

If your husband wants to build the carcass, he can buy the doors premade, just google for 'cabinet doors'.

Reply to
Mac Cool