custom bookcases

Page 1 of 2
I am trying to decide whether to have custom bookcases built or just try to find some free-standing ones. I got a quote from a local cabinet maker for a painted 10' x 10' unit that is 12" deep on the top part where there is open shelving and about 16" deep on the bottom where there will be cabinet doors. The quote is approx. $6000 and I was surprised at the high cost. I live in Louisiana -- anyone have opinions on this price???
Also, any suggestions where I might find some really nice bookcases (open on top with cabinets on bottom -- very tall preferably) either online or b&m??
Thanks for your help!
iradi8 wrote:

Price depends on quality. So if the quality is high $6,000 is cheap. If the quality is "builder special," then it is high.
I built my own and they are just want I wanted. Not too hard. but if you have to ask how, I suggest not doing it yourself.
--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

My dh is pretty handy and often tackles tough projects. I'm not sure if he would want to do this due to the amount of time it would take him. He probably has all of the tools needed so that's not an issue. How long did it take you to build yours and what size did you build? How's about a picture?!
Sloan
iradi8 wrote:

I'll try to put a photo up tomorrow. It took me a couple of days and a couple more to finish it. It was about eight foot tall (9 foot ceiling.) It was about 10 foot long. Construction is easy. I would guess I sent a couple of hundred on it including trim and finishing.
--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Thanks, Joseph!
Sloan
iradi8 wrote:

Photo here:
http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIndex?u009290&a0046374&pw I would say I put about 10 hours total time in. Building them is really not difficult. I used Oak plywood. Just build boxes five sides and screw them to the walls. Add a little trim, adjustable shelves and you are done (one row of shelves was not adjustable to strength the box.)
--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Nice looking cabinets Joseph.
Thanks.
--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Very nice.
Thanks.
--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
> http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIndex?u009290&a0046374&pw Wow -- very, very nice. I'm impressed;)
Sloan
Thanks.
--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

hardwood with a nice grain and finish, I could maybe see that kind of price. Before I even thought about laying out that kind of money, I'd at least play the graph paper game and price out the wood to do it myself. If you want painted, the wood doesn't have to be that pretty, just straight and no open knots. Most of the box could even be made from plywood.
If your DH has a decent table saw or radial arm, and knows how to use a tape measure and a square, shelves like this are one of the easiest thing for a DIY to build. At worst case, they will look ugly. The house won't fall down, and as long as they are tied to wall, they won't fall and kill anyone. Bookstore or big-box will have lots of books with pictures showing how to proceed, and big-box will have all the hardware needed to make the shelves adjustable, if you want. Just when you start cutting, remember no room is square, so you will either end up cutting each board to fit, or making a nice square box and scribing some sort of moulding along the wall to disguise the crookedness.

Thanks. I forwarded your post to my dh.
Sloan
ameijers:

I think you are underestimating the project. I suspect the cabinetmaker was quoting something along the lines of this: http://www.blackrockcabinetmakers.com/built-ins.htm except painted instead of varnished.
The units would be built of cabinet grade plywood and trimmed in solid wood. This is not a project for the casual DIY, although it is perfectly reasonable for someone to do it themselves.
--
Mac Cool

Yes, exactly. The white bookcases on that site are similar to the ones we want.
Thanks, Sloan
iradi8:

Check with other cabinetmakers, also check with finish carpenters. You can find someone to build something similiar for a few thousand, although the fit and finish may not be as fine as the first cabinetmaker.
If your husband wants to build the carcass, he can buy the doors premade, just google for 'cabinet doors'.
--
Mac Cool

Bookcases with most of them starting around your local price. There's a couple I could easily fit into my Craftsman Cottage style house.
Bill

if you can go with something not as tall, get 3 of either of these and placing them side by side will give you shelving/cabinets below of about 6' tall by 9' wide
$249 each http://www.officedepot.com/ddMain.do?level=FM&id 0459&location_info=SG_2_CT_801_FM_180459
$239 each http://www.officedepot.com/ddMain.do?level=FM&id 0469&location_info=SG_2_CT_801_FM_180469
add in delivery charges from office depot (or wherever you buy o'sullivan furniture - it's available all over), and assembly charges (if you don't want to or can't assemble them - actually pretty easy to assemble with a screwdriver) paint the units if you want painted finish, and save the other $5,000 or so

Thanks for the suggestion. I am hoping to get real wood and something a bit sturdier.
Sloan