Cushions sink in leather sofa - repair help!

I have a nice leather sofa that's about 2 years old. The fabric that covers the springs beneath the cushions has ripped and the cushions sink too far down. Do I simply replace the fabric? Any suggestions on repair?

Thanks in advance.

Rich

Reply to
Longashes

This shouldn't have happened.. I would suspect there is some defect in the webbing that is over the springs and beneath the fabric.

Take a look at what else has failed under the fabric and fix that before you replace the fabric.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

== Gosh that didn't last long. Anyway, my solution for sinking springs was to store the extra leaf to my oak dining table under the cushions of my loveseat. I never use it anywayand it fits perfectly. For your sofa, a heavy plywood board should work. You can cover it with batting and fabric so there are no sharp edges to damage your sofa. You can also buy boards for the same purpose. I believe I saw them in the "Home Improvements" ? or similar catalog. == ==

Reply to
Gini

To clarify, the leather cushions sit on top of the fabric which protects the "springs". The fabric ripped so I pulled it back some. Looks like the "springs" are actually heavy wires that go from the front to the back of the sofa. They will spread far enough apart that they are separating when you sit down. Hence, you sit lower than you should. I may take some wiring and strap them together better.

Pretty poor design if you ask me.

Thanks again.

Rich

Reply to
Longashes

== That sounds awful. Is it still under warranty? It certainly should be. ==

Reply to
Gini

There is normally some canvas webbing, about 1.5" wide the runs the long way over these springs. There should also be some wire links between adjacent springs to form a web of support.

I agree with others, maybe you should contact the store with a complaint.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Are the spring zig zag springs as opposed to coil? If so they should be tied together about every 6-12". Like I said turn the sofa over and look how it is in the are where it is not damaged. Some parachute cord should work fine. As for the top part that is torn that will be tough to repair best you can do is put a folded blanket over the tear. you may want to contact MFG they may be willing to do something if the unit is not too old and has not been abused!

Wayne

Reply to
wayne

Check your warranty. Many times frames and springs are guaranteed for a few years.

Reply to
Art Begun