Cushion for slamming doors

I'm looking for an good looking option for reducing the noise the interior doors make when closing. I've use the little round felt pads used for cabinet doors but they look tacky and I need four or five of them on each door so they are easy to spot.

Is there some kind of continuous gasket or something that can be painted the same color as to door jam that will cushion the blow when a door closes?

Reply to
mook johnson

On Wed 03 Jun 2009 06:05:14p, mook johnson told us...

Do people in your house slam doors? I've lived in numerous houses/codos/ apartments and never experienced the problem you describe. Do these doors close on their own?

There is narrow self-adhesive foam weatherstrip that you might consider. I've seen them in white, gray, and brown. However, foam should not be painted.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

"mook johnson" wrote in news:d5FVl.794$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe24.iad:

You could try the self stick clear round buttons used on cabinet doors. They do have a little thickness to them which means the door latch may not catch.

Reply to
Red Green

How about a thin bead of matching caulking (or clear)

Reply to
Rudy

They sell special hinges for that. Usually only used for solid-core doors, but they may have ones small enough for an interior door. I'd try self-adhesive rubber pads on the hinge faces. Find ones squishy enough that you can still pull the door closed over them. Make take some trial and error, carving them thin enough so door can still latch. Either that or the old trick of bending a hinge pin, so door doesn't swing so easily.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Bend a hinge pin, it will slow down the door. There is Brass weather stripping that is made to cause friction to seal by bending, a small piece at the top would slow a door to not slam shut, but hand closing would be needed.

Reply to
ransley

I own a condo in a high rise complex where most units have a patio door. When a patio door slams, as many as 10 other folks can hear it. The complains have tapered down but that's only party because folks are more careful. After a time, folks just get used to it.

In my own unit, I added a "pneumatic" door closer of the semi-industrial type that mounts on top of the door. These can provide a good bit of "closing force" but also have a bit of dampning which means that the door closes VERY SLOWLY (if you adjust things right.) They come in various sizes, colors, etc., inside/outside mounting, but one important classification is whether it's "UL" or not. A "UL" door closer will not hold the door open if you open it all the way. A "non-UL" will hold the door open once it's about 90degrees open.

The units don't look "good" but they don't look bad either. It's just something most folks are used to seeing above doors.

Reply to
John Gilmer