curved copper and sharkbite

Page 1 of 2
I needed to replace a bit of stolen copper 3/4" line, this the service line. The line is coming out of the ground and has some curve to it.
I picked a relative straight section, but the sharkbite connector leaks.
So, should I pursue some other solution or is there an off the shelf way (or otherwise reasonable method) of getting that ready for a sharkbite.
Not thrilled about working in crawlspaces!
Jeff
Jeff Thies wrote:

Repair slip fitting and solder...

That's about the size of it.

I never saw posted "I'm thrilled about working in crawlspaces!".
On 11/19/2010 10:17 AM, Red Green wrote:

OK. I'll have to wick some water out too.

I'm 6'6". I don't fold up well!
Thanks!
Jeff

Stuff some dried bread in there. seriously

I'm a good seven inches shorter, and I still don't fold up well :)
nate

I took it to mean he'll have to wick some water out of the crawlspace - - - but I likely misunderstood.

6'2" and I used to drive an original mini. Friend and classmate - basketball star - was 6'7" and he drove one two.
More flexible in 69 than I am now.
On 11/19/2010 3:23 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

<snip>
It's amazing that as small as the new ones are, the original was what, 2/3 the size!
Friend and classmate -

I used to drive an MGB. I looked *over* the windshield when the top was down.
What a car, it really put you in touch with the road and the outdoors. If it was cold and wet outside, it was cold and wet inside too.
Jeff

I wanted to buy an MG Midget to replace the Mini, but I couldn't get in - at least through the door. Jumping in and dropping one leg down each side of the wheel I could get in, but then I couldn't get my feet to the pedals.

Watched plumber fuss with trying to get a fitting off that he installed that was leaking. Low spot, pipe was full of water.
He drilled a very small hole in the pipe, water leaked and he was able to get the fitting off/on/fixed. Soldered the drill hole shut.
On 11/19/2010 10:59 AM, N8N wrote:

Didn't get a chance to try the bread.
The street shutoff doesn't completely shut off. I cranked up the torch and boiled as much water out as possible and got it done quickly. No leaks!
Thanks, Jeff
On 11/19/2010 9:59 AM, N8N wrote:

It all depends on your diameter, my diameter was a lot less back in college four decades ago. 8-)
TDD
On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 21:32:21 -0600, The Daring Dufas

Yeah, back then I learned in training to crawl under barbed-wire an live machine gun fire. I had a small radius.

I have heard of using plain bread stuffed up the pipe to temporarily keep the water away from the soldering area, and then it will dissolve and can be let out thru the first spigot. Don't know what happens if the bread residue goes thru a water softener or water flter.
On 11/19/2010 9:17 AM, Red Green wrote:

I've worked in crawlspaces where I needed a ladder to reach the ceiling or whatever you would call the underside of the basement floor. On the other hand I've been in crawlspaces where a ladder wouldn't be much help. :)
LdB

Maybe flat to pull yourself along.

And that's what we told him last week to do when he first asked the question. I'd never use a sharkbite fitting when I could just solder or use regular CPVC, etc.
On 11/20/2010 7:49 AM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Other end of the line.
I was doubtful I could solder a pipe with water in it, city supply did not shut off completely. My fix elsewhere in this thread.
Often, there is more to the story.
Jeff

I've seen my dad stuff some bread into a wet line to get it dry. Water then takes it away.
Works.
--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

On 11/20/2010 10:22 AM, Bill who putters wrote:

Oh, I hope I have no more to deal with. My rough experience is that just a little bit of city pressure goes a long way! Water will find a way to get through...
With that said, I'll keep the bread in mind.
Jeff

er.org:
Bread won't stop it forever or maybe not even for 5 mins. But if it's a slow leak, it can stop it for long enough to quickly solder the fitting.