Curious... Question about softwood lumber grades...

The wheelbarrow in question is old, but not at all one of those cheap ones and except for the handles (and associated other wood parts), is far from being worn out in any sense.

No. They said they didn't and wouldn't.

Wooden handles (for this ubiquitous type of wheelbarrow; that is, made to use wooden handles) are standard issue. Parts for alternative models or designs of wheelbarrow (i.e. which don't employ this common issue wooden handle) are another matter. My quote of $129 (CDN) to replace my wheelbarrow is based on what my local HomeDepot charges for a new wooden-handled type wheelbarrow. Essentially, these vendors would have me buy a whole new wooden-handled type wheelbarrow when, in a manner of speaking, all I'd be getting out of my purchase would be the wooden handles (plus a little saved labor)!

Yeah, making my own handles was my "plan B" option. Don't have a lathe, but my nephew who works as an apprentice at a woodworking shop would happily take care of the lathing aspect. Had no idea what kind of wood to use though.

Elm, eh? I'll remember that if I ever find I need to make my own in the future. Thanks.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Moiarty

Thanks for the clarification on the "fir" designation... In my original post, I was assuming (I now realize, wrongly) that "fir" necessarily meant, Douglas Fir.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Moiarty