Curious about 12-2-2 cable.

Saw this in the store. 12-2-2. NM-B 4 conductor with ground. I was just curious to the typical application for such a cable.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Google on "12-2-2 AFCI"

Reply to
Doug Miller

Wiring manufacturers came out with this as a substitute for 12/3 and 14/3 when those circuits will be used for bedrooms protected by arc fault circuit interrupter breakers. Instead of a shared neutral for two circuits, you would now have a separate neutral for each, but one common grounding conductor. I'm not sure how much this stuff is used by contractors even though it can save on labor costs.

Reply to
John Grabowski

Why color do "they" make the second neutral?

Reply to
John Gilmer

Certain protective devices like GFCI and AFCI breakers cannot supplie circircuits with a shared neutral. So x-2-2 seemed to have come into their own.

tom @

LayPerson Tom

White with a red stripe.

Reply to