Cured copper in EdenPURE heaters is bogus, says U.S. Copper Development Association

Web sites for the heavily advertised EdenPURE quartz infrared portable heaters such as:

and
that they use an "amazing heating element" which involves something called "cured copper".

Now, the Copper Development Association Inc., CDA, is the market development, engineering and information services arm of the copper industry, chartered to enhance and expand markets for copper and its alloys in North America:

If "cured copper" was something real, then you would expect the CDA to be helping promote it and thus to sell more copper.

Earlier this year the CDA was asked about cured copper. The question and their response follow.

Question: I just read an ad for a space heater which contained the following: 'Cured copper is a type of copper that goes through an extensive heating process to give it special properties'. Do you have any idea what they mean?

Response: They mean that cured copper has the property of storing large amounts of heat. In our opinion, it is not possible to do that to copper. (Tony Rakich)

Also, in October 2007 Consumer Reports magazine tested sixteen electric portable space heaters, most of which put draw 1500 watts. Go to your friendly local public library and read their report on pages 32 and 33. The 1500-watt EdenPURE Quartz Infrared 1000 tied for last place (15 or 16 out of 16). So their "amazing heating element" hardly delivers amazing results in comparative tests.

Pittsburgh Pete

DISCLAIMER

We do not believe what we write, and neither should you. Information furnished to you is for topical (external) use only. This information may not be worth any more than either a groundhog turd, or what you paid for it (nothing). The author may not even have been either sane or sober when he wrote it down. Do not worry, be happy.

Reply to
metalengr

metalengr PP, these are /your/ claims, not EdenPURE's. Its goal is a low-temperature, superefficient heater, not a hot, overlossy one. Your definition of its cured copper is what's bogus.

Reply to
Autymn D. C.

So, tell us then what exactly is "cured copper" and why have we not heard of it before? The only place I've heard it is from these adds which to me appear to be pure BS. As others have pointed out, an electric heater at the point of use is basicly 100% efficient. The energy you put into it all comes out as heat.

Now, they can use the heat in different ways, but I believe the claim that this device is somehow dramatically different than other heaters and is going to save you a whopping lot of money is bunk. You can save energy, but that will be because using their heater in the room you happen to spend most time in lets you lower the heating sytem for the rest of the house, not because of some miracle cured copper.

Reply to
trader4

I wonder if it is oxygen free, like the copper used in the overpriced Monster cables?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

No. Efficiency is the ratio of heat into a room versus the amount of fuel burned. ALL electric heaters are 100% effiecient. All fossil fueled heaters are somewhat less if they have a vent to the outside. IOW, if 20% of the heat goes up the chimney, you have an 80% effiecient heater.

Heat is heat. 1500 watts is 1500 watt, no matter what style or brand of heater. $30 gets you a good one.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski