curb repair

My front road in on a town street though I live in an incorporated village. The village redid all the other curbs on the side streets but ignores town streets. I expect I'll have to shell out thousands unless someone can give me some tips on how to do it cheaply and with new types of materials. I know there out there. I just don't know what's good, what's been used, and how people worked it. I can't afford the traditional way. Thanks Anybody for replying. Right now I've got sections of broken curb with an abundance of weeds in every crack and crevice and sections virtually gone.

Reply to
IRISHMUSE

I'd be very surprised if you were allowed to perform work on town streets. They are not yours to work on -- they are owned and maintained by the town, and around here the town does not take it lightly if someone starts toying with town property.

If there is truly a problem, call the town road maintenance / highway department and ask them to fix it. If it is just a few cracks, or curb envy, they will politely tell you they have more important things to work on. Or just laugh.

-Kevin

IRISHMUSE wrote:

Reply to
kevin

As Kevin says, those are not your curbs. Money is tight for roadwork these days. Call your Street and Walks folks. Call your Council person. TB

Reply to
tbasc

Have you talked to the town? Unless it is a private street, they are responsible for hte curbing. Fixing them may land you in trouble. As for the weeds, a shot or Roundup or similar spray will take care of them.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Don't know the law about this, but Roundup has been an issue here. Seems that if you spray Roundup, all if fine. But if a municipality does it, they need an applicator license, there are OSHA requirements, etc., just because they are a type of organization than an individual. So it's okay for a person and not for a gov't(without permits) but I don't know about a private person on gov't property. It might depend on who owns the property. Does the town own the road or do they have a ROW?

Reply to
Pat

I expect I'll have to shell out thousands unless

You could take a garbage can and just throw abunch of stuff you have laying around the house like food, graass clippings, dirt, some leaves, soap, salt and whaterver else you can find add water and stir it and use it to patch it.......get real..... concrete is fixed with concrete or cement based product with latex additives. Any "NEW" types of material are going to be MORE exspensive than sand, cement & gravel probably the cheapest materials still. If you cant afford the traditional way you cant affort a new way... As far as the city or town goes yes this is tec their property and curb and gutter is a particular pain in the red tape a&% when it comes to the city and permits. Just as a note typically anything you do in the street (from curb and gutter out) requires you to put up a special bond or increase your homeowners liability insurance for the period while the work is being done. Also the curb and gutter is an engineering department issue and you must meet with them before they will even think of allowing you to do anything in the street. Then again if you cannot afford to fix it you probably cannot afford the permit fees.... ou may want to start you process to the Redevelopment agency in your city or town..the ususlly have state or federal funds set aside for just this reason.....

IRISHMUSE wrote:

Reply to
Italian