Cultured Marble Scratch Buffing Suggestions?

I can barely feel the sctrach with my fingernail but it is visible.

I tried using a random orbit car polisher and red rubbing compound.

No joy.

Any suggestions?

Reply to
boyntonstu

The rubbing compound was to fine to remove the scratch.

  1. Remove scratch with fine sand paper (black silicon carbide "wet or dry" works well). How fine? As fine as possible but coarse enough to remove the scratch without sanding forever.

  1. Sand area with finer papers, working to #1000 or so as the final.

  2. *Polish* with the rubbing compound (or other) to restore the sheen you want.

dadiOH

Reply to
dadiOH

Any polishing will leave a dip in the surface which may or may not be acceptable if viewed in certain lights. One other option is to modify DadiOH's technique and do the entire surface to a matte finish to mask blemishes. Or, replace the slab with a new one. Your call.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

However..... Keep in mind that cultured marble is a manmade product that cosists of a powered marble color base that is covered with a thin gelcoat. If you sand or otherwise bring the gelcoat down to the color, you will not be able to restore the gloss finish.

Reply to
Robert Neville

I had outstanding results repairing my damaged cultured marble vanity using a kit from this company in Iowa. They are experts in repairs to cultured marble, acrylic, polycarbonate, and other such surfaces. They answer their phone calls personally with exert advice and their kits are very reasonably priced. My entire bathroom is filled with cultured marble panels on all walls, tub area, counter tops, and around windows and doors including cultured marble window sills, so I have a lot to take care of. This was installed in the mid 1970s and looks absolutely brand new as a result of these superb finishing / repair products:

I have no connection to this company other than the fact that I bought and used their products with great success and satisfaction.

Smarty

Reply to
Smarty