Cultured Granite Mistake

We had a shower pan made out of cultured granite for our bathroom remodel. It was a dark color with flecks of red, white and grey (looks better than it sounds). However, we noticed that it only looks like the color we asked for when it's wet. As soon as it dries it turns really faded and almost whitish. It looks horrible.

Apparently the contractor realized that they poured it using the wrong type of wax. He says if he sands it down enough then it should look correct. This shower pan isn't a flat surface only, though. It's got a front (entrance) lip and three sides going up the wall about 4 inches. Is he going to be able to sand the entire surface? We are afraid this thing is going to turn out bad.

And this was the one and only time I ever tried having something custom made for a remodel...

Reply to
nfalconer

have him sand it what do you have to lose? if its still bad get them to replace it...

it was their mistake.

Reply to
hallerb

Is this thing in the living room or entrance hall or what?

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

A shower in the living room? Must be a McMansion thing. :)

Actually, my wife and I once stayed in a hotel in Switzerland where that was essentially the case. The hotel room was quite large and obviously not designed as a hotel room. There was no bathroom, that being down the hall. It did have a shower stall though. It was a sheet-metal box about exactly the size of a phone booth, for those old enough to remember phone booths. It felt very odd to step out of the shower into a fairly ornate "parlor" style room. This is not to mention the noise. My wife did OK, but the shower fit *me* like a glove. I must have hit the drum-like sides of the unit a few dozen times with my elbows. It sounded like movie thunder. Still, a fun memory.

Greg Guarino

Reply to
Greg G