Culligan water conditioner problem

Water conditioner plugs up frequently.
Has anyone had this happen to them and was it possible to avoid the problem, or at least lengthen the time between cleanouts?
I have high iron content well water.
I have a Culligan "super s" water conditioner (to remove the iron from the water) purchased Sept. 1995. The conditioner does its job very well – I have practically no iron in the treated water.
The control valve box plugs with iron sludge about every 12 months and has to be completely disassembled and cleaned out (a two hour job.)
I feel that even 12 months is too frequent for this to happed, sludge should not be accumulating in the valve machinery at all.