Cuisinart Blender Cover Modification

The link below shows the cover to my months-old Cuisinart blender. When SWMBO and I were searching the blender reviews, the only con we found for the CBT-700 was the occasional reviewer who said that it was very hard to put the cover on the jar. There were also a few responses to those reviews where folks said that they never experienced that problem.
Well, here we are, a few dozen smoothies later and it's next to impossible to get the cover on the blender jar. We are lining up the arrow on the cover with the spout as directed but it just won't go on without very precise alignment and a lot of force. SWMBO doesn't even try, she just holds the cover over the top of the jar as firmly as she can. When brand new, it was a snug fit but now it's way beyond that.
In the spirit of full disclosure, SWMBO doesn't think that any of the plastic parts should be put in the dishwasher (even though the instructions claim it's dishwasher safe) but I have done it on occasion. I wonder if that is the problem. The cover is either plastic or a hard rubber so maybe the fins have hardened up so they do not flex as much as they should anymore.
I called Cuisinart and they are going to send me a new cover, but she read from the parts list and it specifically says "new covers will be tight". I explained to her that tight is good, but "next to impossible to put on" is not. I mentioned that the most common complaint on the websites was about how the cover can be very hard to put on.
In any case, once I get the new one, I won't mind trying to fix the old one. Please take a look at the picture and see if you can think of way to modify the cover so it fits. Obviously trimming each fin with a razor or sanding them down will work but I'm concerned about exposing the "insides" of the fins. I really don't know if it will matter, but the fins certainly won't have the "factory finish" once I trim them. If that's going to cause pieces of plastic/rubber to flake off and end up in my food then that's an issue.
So, here you go...have at it.
http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq121/DerbyDad03/photobucket-38778-1358276203311.jpg
P.S. I've tried a little vegetable oil on the fins to make them slippery and while that works to a certain degree, it's not something I want to do everytime we use the blender.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 1/15/2013 1:33 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq121/DerbyDad03/photobucket-38778-1358276203311.jpg
I would use a very sharp utility knife blade and remove the bottom seal ring. If that is not enough, remove the second ring. The material is a bit like rubber base.
--


___________________________________

Keep the whole world singing . . .
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Site Timeline

HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.