Crumbling Motar

The apartment I am currently renting has an enclosed sunroom with exposed, unpainted brick walls. The mortar between the bricks is crumbling, leaving a black powder on everything in the room. Is there any product I can use to seal the mortar. Thanks for your suggestions.
Depends on how soft the remaining mortar is. If you can scrape it out with your fingers, it would be better to remove it and replace it.
Assuming you do not want to paint, you might try an acrylic sealer used for tile and stone floors. It will leave a flat sheen (similar to varnish) but not cover up the look of the mortar.
I doubt a penetrating sealer (concrete waterproofer) would stop the deterioration of the mortar. but that would leave the brick unchanged in appearance if it did work.
Black dust is not the color I would expect, grey maybe but black??? Are you sure it is the mortar and not something else.
Also look into other grout sealing products.

they say , If gasoline were to be invented today, it would be out-lawed for the lay people to handle. gawd , it is dangerous!
--
I\'m unfettered,unbound,triumphant,glorious& splendid

Check with your landlord of course, I would think they'd want to fix that since it's symbolic of a potential larger issue. I would not seal it without asking the landlord. Plus if you seal it, it's just gonna end up falling apart eventually unless the cause is found.
Mortar crumbles generally through age and moisture. Inside, it's not supposed to do that !
Does Trane make a VS air handler? You will get a payback, do the math but get the 10yr warranty, You can also get more comfort with VSDC running on low to remove apx 50% more humidity with minimal cooling. Last I heard the trend for electricity was up, so your payback will be shorter.