Crude Oil Prices/Electricity Rates?

Page 2 of 2
Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Probably not since most of the electric power in the Northeast comes first from coal and next nuclear.

Huh? While some power in the NE is nuclear generated, there is almost no coal generated power here.
--
Peace,
BobJ

Here's the numbers from the NPCC [Northeast Power Coordinating Council] http://www.npcc.org/documents/aboutus/General.aspx see Summer 2008 for a pie chart; "Relative Capacity by fuel mix" Hydro 31% Pumped storage 3% Dual fuel 18% Nuclear 16% Gas 13% Coal 10% Oil 8% other 1.1%
A third Hydro and 1/2 as much Nuclear. Wonder which fuels are included under 'dual fuel'?
Jim
Wind.2%
Jim Elbrecht wrote: ...

Generally that would be natural gas/oil.
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

Probably oil/gas depending on the market. I'm more curious about "Pumped storage."
-snip-

I can help with that one. Blenheim-Gilboa gave us a lot of work moving telephone lines back in the 70's.
It is in Schoharie county- roughly halfway between NY City and Montreal.
Essentially 2 lakes. Pump up at night using wasted hydro from Niagara falls. Let it flow through turbines during the day to supply power to most of the east half of NY.
Here's their site- http://www.nypa.gov/facilities/blengil.htm
Probably oversimplified, but I've always looked at them as a 'battery' for the big falls. I don't know how many others might be around.
Jim
Jim Elbrecht wrote: ...

Pretty good analogy. Actual count I don't know, but over the country there are quite a number -- Smith Mountain in SW VA and TVA has a couple w/ some plans for additional a few years ago; don't know what happened to that since I left TN.
Problem is like rest of hydro, the number of suitable sites is pretty well used up and there's the environmental impact of flooding other areas that's a big problem most places these days that didn't use to be so much an issue.
HeyBub wrote:

up to a lake at night when there is a power surplus and then let it come back down during the afternoon peak.
Marilyn & Bob wrote:

You burn around 12 Millions tons of coal to make electricity there plus the power you get from the neighboring grid which is predominately coal.

Yep your electric rates are too high. You can thank all of your neighbors that balk at nuclear power.
--

__
Roger Shoaf

Important factors in selecting a mate: