CRT Television Hum

I have a analog TV that is still working fine and no plans to replace it. Over time, it has developed an audio hum - I'm guessing it's 60 Hz. When the picture is dark, the hum is nearly gone. The brighter the picture, the louder it is. I'm guessing some kind of filter on the speaker connections would do it, maybe something as simple as connecting a capacitor circuit.... But, as I ain't the sharpest feller with audio electronics, I thought I better ask the genius pool here!
First I thought was a power cord was near the antenna cable, but that doesn't seem to be the problem.
The key word in all this is "cheap". Anything over $10 is way out of line.
Snuffy
On Tuesday, July 7, 2015 at 2:01:40 PM UTC-5, Snuffy Hub Cap McKinney wrote:

You probably have some bad filter caps,"electrolytic capacitors" that have dried out in the power supply section. You didn't mention if it has a solid state or tube type chassis. 8-)
---------
yep. NO "ripple" down the side of the picture?
If you want the cheapest alternative - just get used to the hum.
On Tuesday, July 7, 2015 at 3:01:40 PM UTC-4, Snuffy Hub Cap McKinney wrote :

Over time, it has developed an audio hum - I'm guessing it's 60 Hz. Whe n the picture is dark, the hum is nearly gone. The brighter the picture, t he louder it is. I'm guessing some kind of filter on the speaker connectio ns would do it, maybe something as simple as connecting a capacitor circuit .... But, as I ain't the sharpest feller with audio electronics, I thought I better ask the genius pool here!

sn't seem to be the problem.

e.

THE CHEAPEST REPAIR IS GO PICK UP A USED crt TV....
just last week i had to get rid of a sony projection tv that failed.
ince its illegal to put the tv in the trash, i took it to a local tv dispos al center.
they are taking in 5 bucks per tv, and report most they get are working fin e.
so check craiglist, or ask friends since everyone is buying a new flat scre en lED or LCD tv. they use just a fraction of the electricity the old tube tvs use. saves big $$ on your electric bill:)
much better picture quality, and if you have AC the new tv might be 40 watt s or less, rather than your existing sets 400 watts
On 7/7/2015 3:01 PM, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:

Until now.
in message I have a analog TV that is still working fine and no plans to replace it. Over time, it has developed an audio hum - I'm guessing it's 60 Hz. When the picture is dark, the hum is nearly gone. The brighter the picture, the louder it is. I'm guessing some kind of filter on the speaker connections would do it, maybe something as simple as connecting a capacitor circuit.... But, as I ain't the sharpest feller with audio electronics, I thought I better ask the genius pool here!
First I thought was a power cord was near the antenna cable, but that doesn't seem to be the problem.
The key word in all this is "cheap". Anything over $10 is way out of line.
Snuffy
= Thanks taxed & bh. FYI....

at 60 Hz because the screen blanks for a while during vertical retrace.
On 7/7/2015 3:01 PM, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:

Just get another one. People are giving them away. I sa a perfectly good 19" and 27" go into the trash because no one would take them for free. Check Freecycle or similar.
Personally, I'd never go back to a crt. Love the flatscreen and sharper image. I gave away two 19" sets a couple of years ago.
One of the tuning coils for the sound detector circuit may have drifted out of tune. Get a diagram and an an align,ent tool.
Mark
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

It's picture brightness related. I'd suspect HV power supply. Maybe cap. is going.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

THey use lot more power.

The flat screens use more power???? Could have fooled me. Even my 42 inch plasma draws less current than my old 26 inch CRT. ANd LED TVs draw even less than a plasma
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

OP said analog TV. And 60Hz hum.... What flat panel?

I was responding to ": Personally, I'd never go back to a crt. Love the flatscreen and sharper image. I gave away two 19" sets a couple of years ago"
On 07/08/2015 08:51 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I have a flatscreen CRT TV (Sanyo brand). It works too well to replace.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

better ask the genius pool here!

What's the name of the song? Just a blues song? learn to live with it or the words...
--
Tekkie *Please post a follow-up*

"Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney" wrote in message

More likely 50 Hz from the mains 50 Hz.

Have you tried praying?

If you knew the answer why post?
--
I found a very good documentary on Martin Luther.
It's at
"Barry OGrady" wrote in message

More likely 50 Hz from the mains 50 Hz.

Have you tried praying?

If you knew the answer why post?
--
I found a very good documentary on Martin Luther.
It's at
On Sat, 18 Jul 2015 06:03:24 -0700, "Col. Edmund J. Burke"

I see what has happened. You are not using proper quoting.
Google usenet quoting.