CRT begins to display a "fuzzy" image ...

Hi everybody,
Is it possible to adjust a computer monitor when the CRT begins to display fuzzy image that seems to be a kind of bad focus ? (principally in the peripheral zones - center zone is still ok)
Thank you beforehand for your comments and advices.
Cheers !
Dominique (Belgium)
snipped-for-privacy@xdreze.org

Sounds like you need a new LCD monitor. You'll love it.
wrote in message

Have you tried degaussing. Any monitor with buttons probably has it on the menu. Older monitors with knobs for brightness may have a button or no manual way to degauss. The menu may have other settings that may help.

Two words, DELL 2001FP.
Seriously, sounds like a convergence problem. Only the most expensive monitors will let you adjust it. Find the manuals, or fool with the OSD (on screen display). My experience is when a monitor starts going out of adjustment, total failure is imminent.
If you spend any significant time in front of the screen go for the flat panel.
Dominique MOREAU wrote:

What's the make/model of the CRT?

The model MD1998LJ (19" monitor) The manufacturer is MEDION (http://www.medion.com /)
Dominique
On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 20:28:53 +0100, "Dominique MOREAU"

There are billions of monitors and you don't say what kind you have.
Have you checked to see if there is a focus control? Do that first.

Many monitors have an internal focus control. A few have external access holes to allow adjustment. Opening some monitors is tricky, and very dangerous voltages can be contacted inside, so much care is needed.
http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/monfaq.htm
Bob

Thank you Bob for your answers and the tips. It is very interresting for me.
Dominique
On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 20:28:53 +0100, "Dominique MOREAU"

You can usually bring these back to life for a while with the focus pot. Use a plastic "diddle stick" to adjust this, not a screwdriver. It is some thousands of volts. The problem is it probably won't last too long. A high voltage part is drifting and it will keep doing it until there is no adjustment left. You can nurse it along but be picking out a replacement.
I want to thank everyone who answered to my message on this newgroup. Thanks to your advices, my monitor came back to the life!
The funny aspect of the experience: I had to use a wood Chinese chopstick that I cut to the right shape for adjusting the focus potentiometers :)
Thanks again ! Dominique