Crows

Page 1 of 2
How do you shut up or get rid of crows?
--
LSMFT

LSMFT wrote:

This

Bake a pie?

If you're in Albany, NY you spend 10's of thousands of dollars making lots of noise, annoying residents and crows and chase the crows across the river to Troy, NY.
If you're in Troy, NY you spend 10's of thousands of dollars making lots of noise, annoying residents and crows and chase the crows across the river to Albany, NY.
This has been working well for both cities for 10-15 years or so.
Jim [want recipes? http://crowbusters.com/recipes.htm ]
I can't remember which cities. But one city had a racoon problem. They spent lots of money on trap and release, took the coons to the other side of the river. Well, next year the folks on the othe side of the river had a racoon problem. So, they implemented a trap and release program.
I wonder if they are the same people who are managing the Mexican border, along the south of the USA?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I put plastic wrap (the kind that's on rolls in a box) around wherever a squirrel can hang from it's tail to get at the bird food. Works like a charm. Except cats like to hang around and leap out at the birds. I got rid of the feeder. The cats liked to sit on my car and made scratch marks. There is plenty for the birds to eat on the ground.
On 10/16/2010 9:01 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

That is why for feral cats, the only approach that has made a difference is catch, neuter, and release. You kill them, another moves in within days.
--
aem sends...

I recently took a workshop in TNR. The R now stands for Return because releasing a cat where they have never been before is cruel since they'll have no idea how to survive in the new locale.
I already did a feral female who was wonderful at producing kittens and I'll be doing 8 cats at the end of this month. Hopefully that is most of the ones in my immediate neighborhood.
On 10/18/2010 9:01 AM, dgk wrote:

Silly me- I presumed taking them back to where you abducted them went without saying. Sorta implied by the concept of territory, etc. Yeah, releasing them at random elsewhere definitely would NOT work. The local alpha would run them off forthwith.
--
aem sends...

If you chose an area without an alpha cat you may discover it is because the people there had a trap and kill program going on. (usually assisted by animal control who actually does the kill part) although I have a neighbor who drowns everything he gets in his trap.

Why do you think they INVENTED these programs to sterilize and return them? It wasn't out of any fuzzy-wuzzy feelings. Trap and kill does not work, unless done on a continuous expen$ive basis. Nature abhors a vacuum, and feral cats are fungible. They make new ones faster than you can kill the existing ones. You can only hope to control them within a general area- control meaning a non-spiking population- by retarding the birth rate by sterilizing the in-place population.
One of the most active players in this trap-neuter-return program is US Military, on their docks and warehouses. They are happy with the results.
--
aem sends..

I live in a place where we have plenty of natural predators, we don't need any exotics. I suppose TNR is a good idea in urban areas but feral cats decimate populations of native species where you do have a natural balance.

Any country lad can tell you crows are really paranoid about the sound a .22 rifle (or similar) makes. So to duplicate the sound simply get a couple of 2 x 4's around 30" long. Hold the pair together at the bottom and slap them together at the top rather hard. The neighbors may be alarmed thinking they hear gunshots, but the noise is no worse than a hefty firecracker. Do this under a crows nest in a tree and the birds will take off for the boonies making their own racket on the way. With a few repeats they will give up all their property rights, usually within a day or two. Worked just fine in our neighborhood.
Joe

A country boy will also say:
"Don't get your thumbs between the lumber." It hurts!
See also: Painless way to get a camel moving.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

... and once the crows and your neighbors get used to the sound, shoot the loudest crow in the bunch and they will go away.
How do you handle loud neighbors? Same?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus